Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Barnsley 0-0 Wigan Athletic

19 November 2016

Club News

REPORT: Barnsley 0-0 Wigan Athletic

19 November 2016

Reds keep their third clean sheet in four matches with a goalless draw against a dogged Wigan Athletic.

Barnsley extended their unbeaten run to four matches with a 0-0 draw at home to Wigan Athletic.

The Reds had the better of the chances throughout the match but were unable to find a way past Adam Bogdan or Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Sam Winnall flicked a header just wide with Bogdan rooted and Marley Watkins' volley brought a good save out of the Hungarian soon after.

Winnall thought he had opened the scoring just before the interval when he turned Conor Hourihane's effort home, only to be flagged offside.

James Bree and Adam Armstrong both fizzed efforts just past the top corner while Yanic Wildschut went closest for the Latics in a quiet second half with a tame effort.

Conor Hourihane had the final chance of the match, firing at substitute goalkeeper Jaaskelainen from the edge of the area, but the Finnish stopper kept the Reds midfielder at bay as both sides had to settle for a point.

Former Red David Perkins had the opening chance four minutes in, stepping away from two defenders but failing to trouble Adam Davies, who was alert to deal with the powerful Yanic Wildschut soon after.

Andy Yiadom’s superb delivery to the back post was met by Sam Winnall, but the striker glanced the effort just wide of the post with Adam Bogdan rooted to the spot.

Yiadom was cynically brought down by Nick Powell just inside the Wigan half and the resulting free kick saw Marc Roberts flick on to Marley Watkins and his volley was well saved by Bogdan. 

Michael Jacobs chopped down Conor Hourihane out wide for another Reds free kick, which was cleared as far as Adam Armstrong, only for his ferocious volley to be blocked by Craig Morgan.

Josh Scowen was fouled on the wing in the final moments of the half, resulting in the first booking of the game for midfielder Shaun MacDonald.

On the stroke of half time, Conor Hourihane swept the ball towards goal and Winnall flicked the ball home, only for the referee’s assistant to flag him offside. 

HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-0 Wigan Athletic

James Bree set about giving the Reds the lead within five minutes of the restart as he surged forward and drilled the ball to Armstrong, who saw his powerful effort deflected behind for a corner.

The right-back then let fly from the best part of 25-yards but the ball whistled just past the top corner of the goal as the Reds continued to pile on the pressure.

Jussi Jaaskelainen replaced Bogdan after he was taken away on a stretcher following an injury and Armstrong almost whipped an angled 30-yard effort over the Finland stopper within moments of his introduction. 

Perkins fed Wildschut shortly after the hour only for the striker to release a tame effort, easily gathered by Davies and he was fortunate to see the ball spring loose following a goalmouth scramble moments later.

Winnall clipped the ball to Armstrong who failed to hit the target with a header from the middle of the area and Morgan was cautioned for a foul on Winnall as he scampered clear.

Scowen came close in the final moments with a low effort wide of the mark and Hourihane almost won it in stoppage time, only for Jaaskelainen to gather his effort.

Reds: Davies (GK), Bree, Roberts, Jackson, Yiadom, Kent (Hammill, 76’), Hourihane, Scowen, Watkins, Winnall (Bradshaw, 87’), Armstrong (Janko, 90+1).

Subs: Townsend (GK), MacDonald, Williams, Kay.

Wigan: Bogdan (GK) (Jaaskelainen, 59’), R. Burke, Morgan, Buxton, Warnock, MacDonald, Power, Powell (Garbutt, 30’), Perkins, Jacobs, Wildschut (Davies, 82’).

Subs: Grigg, Byrne, Le Fondre, Flores.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account