DIRECTIONS & CAR PARKING INFORMATION
If using Sat-Nav, our post code is S71 1ET.
Leave the M1 at Junction 37 and take the A628 towards Barnsley. Stay on this road (Oakwell is well sign-posted) and you will eventually see the stadium on your right.
There are a couple of car parks located around Oakwell, but they are mainly for permit holders only. Between the stadium and the Metrodome Leisure Centre is a car park for visiting supporters - the old Queens Ground - which costs £4 per car, £8 for a mini-bus and £15 for coaches.
Barnsley Interchange is about a 10 minute walk away from Oakwell. The station is served by trains running between Sheffield and Leeds/Huddersfield, and trains in both directions arrive every 25 minutes or so.
When exiting the train station turn left away from the town centre and head towards the bridge that the dual-carriageway runs over. Go under the bridge and turn left up the slip road and then take the first road on the right and head towards the Metrodome leisure centre at the top of the hill. Oakwell is now clearly visible.
Oakwell is a multi-purpose sports venue, built originally in the 19th century.
While the name 'Oakwell' generally refers to the main stadium, it also includes several neighbouring venues which form the facilities of Barnsley F.C.
These include the Reds Academy – an indoor training pitch, a smaller stadium with seating on the south and west sides for around 2,200 spectators, and several training pitches used by the different Barnsley F.C squads.
The record attendance figure for a game at Oakwell was registered in February of 1936 when 40,255 spectators saw the Reds beat Stoke City 2-1 in an FA Cup 5th Round tie.
The average attendance last season (2016/17) was 13,735.
As well as being the home of Barnsley F.C since 1888, Oakwell has hosted a number of England internationals at different age levels, and even Rugby League matches.
With a capacity of 23,287 since the 'Taylor Report' in the early-1990's led to the development of all-seater stadia, Oakwell is often termed a 'classic' football stadium and one of the few remaining grounds to have its floodlights on corner pylons.
Oakwell was the first stadium in English football to have a designated stand for disabled supporters.
THE HAYSELDEN WEST STAND
The West Stand is the only original part of Oakwell Stadium left standing; however, it was made 'all-seater' in 1995.
The stand is made up of two tiers, with only the upper tier covered. Many of the seats are the originals from the late 19th century.
Capacity is around 4,700.
THE INVESTMENT ROOM EAST STAND
The East Stand is a two-tiered structure, completed in 1993.
With the completion of the East Stand, Barnsley F.C became the first club in Yorkshire to incorporate 'executive boxes' into their stadium.
Capacity is around 7,500.
THE CK BECKETT SOUTH STAND
Built in 1995, The South Stand is traditionally known as the 'Pontefract Road End' or 'Ponty End'.
The stand is a large, covered single-tier seating area behind the goal on the south side of the stadium.
This part of the stadium also houses the club superstore, the box office, and general administration offices.
Capacity is around 4,500.
THE PALMER CONSTRUCTION NORTH STAND
The North Stand is the most recent addition to Oakwell Stadium and is a large, covered singled-tiered seating area, and is where away supporters are situated.
It also houses the dressing rooms, the gymnasium and first team and academy staff offices.
Capacity is around 6,000.
THE BRITTANIA DRILLING CORNER STAND
Built in the summer of 1998, this three-level structure provides further executive areas and disabled facilities for viewing an event.
Access to this area was also incorporated into the neighbouring East Stand on several levels.
Capacity is around 200.