Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 March 2024

Match Reports


12 March 2024

Neill Collins' side returned to winning ways on Tuesday night with an important three-point haul in Cumbria.

After falling behind early on, the Reds responded with three goals themselves before Carlisle United added a late second to give the hosts some false hope in the dying embers of this one.

Following a very scrappy start to proceedings on a wet night in Cumbria, it was the home side - bottom of the table - who took the lead. The Reds defence, unable to deal with a high ball were left scrambling as Luke Armstrong bagged his second goal against Barnsley this season when running through to beat stand-in goalkeeper, Ben Killip one-on-one. 

Rocked by that goal, Collins' men were struggling to find a reply and had just a flash header from Sam Cosgrove to remark upon inside the opening quarter. 

Carlisle midfielder Harrison Neal twice tested Killip from range, with Ben easily down to save both efforts, before Cosgrove got on the end of some good football to waste an opportunity as he skied his effort from just outside the box. 

Barnsley attacks were beginning to look more interesting, however. Maybe a change in shape or just a realisation amongst the players, the difference was evident with half-an-hour played. 

And the equaliser soon arrived. But it came out of nothing. The captain, Jordan Williams chancing his arm from 20 yards out, slightly to the right and his powerful hit was too hot for Carlisle 'keeper Harry Lewis to divert, despite his best efforts.

Soon after, John McAtee headed against the crossbar from close-range before Cosgrove forced Lewis into a diving save just prior to the whistle being blown for half time.

HALF TIME: Carlisle United 1-1 Barnsley

Within minutes of the restart McAtee raced onto a through-ball but couldn't lift his shot over a covering defender. But there wasn't long to wait for the Reds' second goal, on 49 minutes. 

Luca Connell's incisive through-ball released Cosgrove one-on-one, to the right and his ball across goal was bundled in by McAtee who was under pressure from a defender on the line. It could easily have been an own goal but tough to see from this angle.

The Reds were now well on top and should have added a third when Adam Phillips sent McAtee in on goal again, but the striker was denied by the legs of Lewis. 

The third strike did come, on 76 minutes when a recycled corner kick saw Corey O'Keeffe pick out Jon Russell at the far post and the big man nodded home. 

With sub Aiden Marsh looping a header narrowly over and Barnsley dominant, it looked likely that we'd see a fourth Reds strike but on the break and after poor defending wide right, the hosts brought it back to 2-3 when Dan Butterworth beat Killip one-on-one. 

That served up a nervy finish, but an 11th away win of the season was racked up and saw them equal a club record 10-game unbeaten away run.

FULL TIME: Carlisle United 2-3 Barnsley

Killip, O'Keeffe, Williams, de Gevigney, Earl, Cadden, Connell, Russell, Phillips (Cole), Cosgrove (Marsh), McAtee (Grant).

Unused: Ravenhill (GK), Cotter, McCart, J.Benson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account