Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 March 2024

Match Reports


2 March 2024

Barnsley showed their fighting spirit once more to claim victory against the in-form Chairboys in Sky Bet League One this afternoon!

After twice falling behind at Adams Park, Neill Collins' side rallied in the second half to earn another impressive win on their travels this season.

The Reds boss was without the services of both Nicky Cadden and John McAtee, ruled unavailable for this tricky-looking trip to High Wycombe where the hosts were unbeaten in nine games on home soil, stretching back to the start of December of last year.

In a somewhat cagey start to the fixture, Barnsley would again succumb to a goal inside the opening 15 minutes when a quickly taken throw-in from the left was crossed low into the Reds' box and after Donovan Pines couldn't stretch out a leg to divert it away from trouble, the ball sat up nicely for Dale Taylor to stroke the ball into the bottom corner.

But the Reds reacted well, as they often have in 23/24. First, Sam Cosgrove flashed a header just over the bar from a Luca Connell corner before a deep cross from Maël de Gevigney saw Corey O'Keeffe loop in a header at the back post that had Wanderers goalkeeper Franco Ravizolli scrambling to tip the ball over the bar. 

The home side nearly saw their lead doubled when a wicked cross was sliced against his own post by Pines, before a number of penalty appeals from the Reds were waved away by the referee, Dean Whitestone.

But as we entered time added on at the end of the half, Connell's wonderful free-kick came back off the crossbar and Cosgrove beat both his marker and Pines to nod home the equaliser.

HALF TIME: Wycombe Wanderers 1-1 Barnsley

The Reds were on top as the second 45' got underway but were caught on the counter, again going behind at Adams Park. With 51 minutes played it was great work from Garath McCleary to trick his way into the box and his persistence was rewarded as his low ball into the six yard box was slotted home by Kieren Sadlier.

However, Barnsley weren't to be put off their collective stride. Just four minutes later they were level again, and this time it was that man, Pines who was credited with a goal. Another Connell corner from the right made its way to the back post and after Devante Cole's initial attempt to force the ball home, Pines stretched out a leg to make it 2-2.

The red wave was now incessant with both Connell and Herbie Kane sending efforts from just outside the box over the bar before that pressure eventually paid off in the 65th minute. 

Jordan Williams was raiding down the right and his cross towards the far post was met expertly by his opposite wing-back, O'Keeffe who found the corner of the net to give Barnsley the lead for the first time in the game.

In a bizarre moment, Chairboys substitute David Wheeler was sent off within about 30 seconds of entering the fray. The wide-man lashed out at O'Keeffe on the far touchline, with referee, Whitestone quick to brandish the red card.

Barnsley would crown the success with 18 minutes remaining as another ball in from Williams from the right saw substitute Conor Grant receive the ball from an acute angle, before a sublime first touch allowed him room to rifle home his strike into the roof of the Wycombe net for 4-2. 

FULL TIME: Wycombe Wanderers 2-4 Barnsley

Roberts, Williams, de Gevigney, Pines, Earl, O'Keeffe, Kane, Connell (Grant), Phillips (Russell), Cosgrove (Marsh), Cole.

Unused: Killip, Cotter, McCart, J.Benson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account