Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 February 2024

Match Reports


4 February 2024

Barnsley's three-and-a-half-month unbeaten run came to an end on the road in Durham, as the Reds fell to a 4-0 defeat against Spennymoor.

The Reds kicked against the prevailing wind in the first half, and this displayed itself in the early stages as Spennymoor had an early opportunity. A corner kick from the home team found the header of an incoming forward, forcing Barnsley 'keeper Ashleigh Ridsdel-Harrison to snatch hold of the resultant effort. A minute later, the Reds had their own first chance of the game, as a Eliza Holland corner found Charley Evans, whose header ricocheted across the Spennymoor backline, and was promptly cleared to prevent a Barnsley follow-up.

The weather conditions continued to cause the Reds issues as the game progressed, with wingbacks Eliza Holland and Betty Cheetham having to respond expertly to repeated bursts down the flanks by Spennymoor's wingers. In the 14th minute, this resolute defensive resistance almost paid dividends, when a bursting run by Kim Brown found Lynn Goodman in the box, forcing a last-ditch clearance from the Spennymoor defence. This prompted a counter attack, with Ridsdel-Harrison reacting brilliantly to deny Spennymoor winger Enguita's near post effort. 

Five minutes later, Barnsley again had an opportunity to open the lead, when a move down the left flank Lynn Goodman from twenty yards out. Goodman then laid off the ball to Cheetham on the right-hand side of the box, who launched a spiralling cross to Holland. The Reds' wing back beat two defenders before Spennymoor 'stopper Miller snatched on the effort before she could slam home. 

The Reds were left to rue these missed opportunities in the 30th minute. A back pass from Stephanie Rigby was intercepted by Spennymoor forward Kidby, forcing Ridsdel-Harrison to come off her line to bring down the incoming forward, conceding a penalty effort. The initial penalty effort from Spennymoor's Colledge was dealt with by a great lunging save by the Reds' 'keeper, however, the adverse weather conditions meant that the ball rolled away from the spot before the spotkick was taken, and a retake was ordered. College's second attempt was hit centrally, and ricocheted off the crossbar, into the net, for the home side's opener. 

The following ten minutes were cagey, with the Reds desperately chasing an equaliser, but being kept at bay by difficulties with playing against the wind, combined with a deep opposition defensive line. In the 44th minute, substitute Macy Lunn received the ball in the box from Victoria Chincharo, attempting to hit a shot on the half-volley which looped well into the air and was gathered by the Spennymoor 'keeper. Four minutes later, a Spennymoor counter attack resulted in a ball from twenty yards out finding its way into the box. Reds' 'stopper, Ridsdel-Harrison, who has produced an outstanding six clean sheets this season, parried this cross, with the ball rolling to Spennymoor's Knox, who delivered a shot into an empty net, ensuring that Barnsley went into the interval two goals down, after a cagey first half. 


As the second half commenced, Barnsley had an opportunity to pull one back virtually from the effort. A mazing run by forward Jodie Gregory allowed her to direct a pass straight into the feet of Nic Shaw. Nic fired home, but was cruelly denied by the lineman's flag. Nine minutes later, Spennymoor had their own chance to triple their advantage with a curling free kick from thirty yards out, which was brilliantly punched away by Ridsdel-Harrison. 

After 61 minutes, a drilled cross over the top by Melissa Turton-Burrell once again found Gregory, whose subsequent effort was aimed wide of the target. Two minutes later, a ball from the left by Holland, now back on the pitch following her earlier substitute, forced a last-gasp save from the Spennymoor 'keeper before Gregory could pounce on the cross. Three minutes later, Kim Brown produced a great run from midfield after picking up a Spennymoor goal kick which was one of a few delayed by the weather conditions at play, and finding space just outside the box, rifled a shot from long-range, which was aimed wide of the mark without forcing a save from the home team's goalkeeper. 

Barnsley continued to battle back well, and looked good value to reduce the Spennymoor lead. In the 75th minute, a 35-yard free kick from Chincharo whistled over the bar. And two minutes later, Spennymoor's Bates had a great opportunity to make it three, with an excellent Steph Rigby tackle blocking her shot and directing the ball out of harm's way. 

However, the Reds were eventually unable to stop the home side making it three, as after 82 minutes, a drilled ball from midfield found Spennymoor's Bates, who promptly hit home. Five minutes later, Betty Cheetham had an opportunity to produce a consolation goal with a really well-delivered free kick, however the Spennymoor stopper collected the chance comfortably.

As the game entered stoppage time, Barnsley were unable to stop the advancing Spennymoor forward line, conceding a number of set pieces. It was one of these, a corner kick in the 97th minute, which produced the home side's fourth of the afternoon. An in-swinging corner kick found the head of Spennymoor substitute Seymour, before deflected off a Reds defender. Reds' 'stopper Ridsdel-Harrison was unable to get to the effort in time, and as such, Barnsley returned to S71 having suffered their first league defeat since October 8th, bringing a nine-game unbeaten run to an agonising end. 


Barnsley: Ridsdel-Harrison, Turton-Burrell (Ayrton, 90+2), Rigby, Wilson-Roberts, Cheetham (Lunn, 25 - replaced by Cheetham, 75), Holland (Shaw, 25), Chincharo, Evans, Brown, Goodman (Holland, 45), Gregory

Subs not used: Wilson, Schofield

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account