Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 February 2024

Match Reports


18 February 2024

Our Women were knocked off top spot this afternoon, replaced by the visitors who came out the better side of a five-goal thriller!

It was a busy opening five minutes with drama occurring at both ends of the field. Stephanie Rigby made herself present to the visitors with her first of many tackles of the match with a great challenge in the defensive third.

Seconds later, Kirstie Nicholls received a ball and made a great run down the wing finally finding Louisa Barraclough who rifled the ball against the crossbar. Six minutes later, Nicholls again found herself in striking range of goal but couldn't find the back of the net after it flew over the goal.

After an impressive opening 12 minutes from the Reds, Wallsend found themselves on a counter attack which ended in an early lead for the girls in yellow and green. The controversial goal saw the ball bounce off the post and back into play. Just two minutes later, Wallsend doubled their lead after a great bit of play, leading from the right of the field, a low cross was put in which landed at the feet of an attacker who then found no issue in getting past Reds’ 'keeper, Ashleigh Ridsel-Harrison.

Following that heartbreaking few minutes for the Reds, an over the top ball saw goal-poacher Nicholls through on goal. After a darting run, Nicholls pulled the trigger to have her initial shot pushed out by the 'keeper but she had no trouble in converting the second attempt.

Barnsley’s comeback hopes were put on hold as Wallsend found themselves on another attack which saw the attacker thrash the ball into the upper roofing of the goal from close-range topping off a good move.

Shortly after, Jodie Gregory almost found a way back into the game for the Reds but a Wallsend defender managed to stick a foot in to prevent her close-range shot from entering the visitors' goal.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 1-3 Wallsend

The second half kicked off and Barnsley looked far more dominant. A ball was played into Nicholls inside the box before her great turn to shake off the Wallsend defender culminated in a left footed strike bringing Jess Horsley’s side back into the contest.

Substitute Amy Dawson was proving to be a threat up front forcing the visitors' 'keeper to go into a diving save to  prevent an equaliser for the Reds.

Ridsel-Harrison was then forced into action diving onto her right hand side pushing the ball out for what we all thought was a corner but the referee declared it was in fact a goal-kick.

Barnsley would then go on to have a series of attacks in the final ten minutes but the Wallsend defence handled the obscene Barnsley pressure, managing to see out their one-goal lead until the full time whistle.

FULL TIME: Barnsley 2-3 Wallsend

Ridsdel-Harrison, Rigby, Wilson-Roberts, Evans, Brown, Barraclough, Chincharo, Gregory, Nicholls, Cheetham, Turton-Burrell.

Subs: Lunn, Shaw, Dawson, Ayrton, Wilson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account