Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 February 2024

Match Reports


10 February 2024

Adam Phillips' late brace helped the Reds to another win having fallen behind early on at Oakwell this afternoon against in-form Leyton Orient.

Goals in the 88th and 95th minute from Adam Phillips secured a huge three points for Barnsley in Sky Bet League One.

Neill Collins had named an unchanged lineup for this clash with an O's side who were eight games unbeaten and with eyes on a play-off spot.

There was an early scare for the Reds as former player George Moncur stung the palms of Liam Roberts with a 20-yard free-kick inside the first few minutes. 

But it was Collins' side who went closer to opening the scoring when Devante Cole's acrobatic volley was wonderfully tipped over the bar by O's stopper Sol Brynn. Soon after, Luca Connell's exocet of a strike from the edge of the box whistled inches wide of goal.

However, on 10 minutes came the sucker punch. After failing to deal with a high ball on the right of defence, in skipped Moncur who beat his man and cut the ball back from the byline for Ruel Sotiriou to slot home from six yards out. 

The Reds maintained their composure and both Herbie Kane and Cole were denied by the impressive Brynn in the space of a couple minutes. First, Devante beat his man to run into the box but from an acute angle he was thwarted by the goalkeeper one-on-one. Then, after John McAtee played him in, just inside the box, Kane's first-time strike was tame but heading for the bottom corner before Brynn's one-handed save turned the ball behind.

As we entered added time at the end of the half, the O's 'keeper was again showing his quality as he dove full length to his left to turn away another effort from Cole.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Orient

Into the second period and whilst it was all Barnsley with Orient seemingly happy to soak up the pressure, chances for the Reds were few and far between, forcing Collins to utilise his bench.

He brought on all of Corey O'Keeffe, Sam Cosgrove and Conor Grant. And suddenly, the last third was where the Reds were camped.

Cosgrove was perfectly picked out by O'Keeffe but from eight yards out, the big man's header was too close to the diving Brynn.

The O's 'keeper was there again on 72 minutes when he clawed a Connell strike out of the far corner, with each missed opportunity looking costly as time wore on. The frustration was beginning to boil over as even Collins saw himself enter the referee's notebook, along with a number of players, including Connell for the Reds after a rash tackle on halfway.

Our pressure eventually paid off with two minutes remaining as a wonderful ball over the top by Maël de Gevigney allowed Phillips to break the lines and he got his head to the ball before the onrushing Brynn to nod us level in the game. 

There was drama before the restart as Connell was sent off for a second bookable offence, but this only rallied Barnsley and again, Phillips came up trumps as he volleyed home an O'Keeffe free-kick in the 95th minute to send the Reds fans into raptures!

FULL TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Orient

Roberts, Williams, de Gevigney, Earl, Cadden, Cotter (O'Keeffe), Kane (Cosgrove), Phillips, Connell, McAtee (Grant), Cole.

Unused: Killip, Pines, Russell, Marsh.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account