Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 April 2024

Match Reports


9 April 2024

The Reds were handed a second consecutive away defeat this evening, going down 2-1 on their first ever trip to the Lamex Stadium.

After Adam Phillips' opener was levelled up by Jamie Reid's strike in the opening 45', a Dan Butler free-kick settled a contest that won't live long in the memory.

It took just two minutes for the hosts to test us. A free header for Aaron Pressley inside the six yard box but the effort was straight at Liam Roberts.

On 17 minutes a cross from Kane Smith down the right was met well by Reid but his first-time shot whistled a yard beyond the near post.

Just two minutes later the hosts' best chance so far, as Reid's low cross was begging to be put away but somehow Pressley failed to convert from three yards out.

Five minutes further and another free header, this time for Elliott List - inside the six yard box - but thankfully it was straight at Roberts again.

The Reds had forced a couple of corners and put over one or two crosses but in general, they were struggling to cope with the home side's tactics. 

However, with half-an-hour gone, they took a surprise lead when a long kick from Roberts found Phillips who appeared offside, but the number 30 steadied himself just outside the box and lifted the ball over the goalkeeper and into the empty net.

That goal seemed to settle Neill Collins' side as they began to play the ball in and around their opposition. Indeed, it could have been 2-0 when good play from John McAtee and Sam Cosgrove released Jon Russell, one-on-one with the 'keeper but his attempted effort was clawed away by Craig Magillivray. 

But, in first half injury time, the hosts equalised against the run of play. A good move in and around the box eventually saw Reid cut inside and fire in the leveller, through bodies and Roberts at the near post.

HALF-TIME: Stevenage 1-1 Barnsley

The Reds came out fighting at the very start of the second half and a wonderfully fizzed cross from the right by Jordan Williams looked likely to be turned in by Cosgrove but the striker couldn't quite connect from two yards out.

Just a couple of minutes later, Stevenage went ahead. A free-kick on the edge of the box was fired in low by Dan Butler, beating the wall and going straight through Roberts who must have been unsighted.

60 seconds later, Reid nearly made it three but after dancing beyond the Reds defenders, Roberts saved low down to his right.

Another couple of minutes of pressure and somehow Pressley headed wide when unmarked at the back post. The home side were now camped in the Reds' half, who were struggling to get out, struggling to find a route back into the clash.

Roberts again saved well to thwart Pressley who had worked himself room to have another free header at the far stick, and then Collins looked to his bench with the likes of Herbie Kane, Devante Cole and Fábio Jaló introduced.

Top goalscorer, Cole was close to getting on the end of a Phillips cross but there were no clear-cut opportunities to speak of in the last 20 minutes. However, Cole did fall inside the box under a Carl Piergianni challenge, but the referee waved away his penalty claims.

In the dying embers, the impressive Reid could have sealed it but his powerful drive came back out off the inside of the far post.

Work still to do for the Reds if they're to confirm an end-of-season play-off place. 

FULL-TIME: Stevenage 2-1 Barnsley

Roberts, Williams (Cotter), de Gevigney, McCart, Earl, Cadden (Jaló), Phillips, Russell (Cole), Connell, McAtee, Cosgrove (Kane).

Unused: Killip, James, O'Keeffe.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account