Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 April 2024

Match Reports


25 April 2024

Barnsley FC Women staged a spectacular comeback on the Oakwell training pitch to win 2-1 in their League Cup semi-final against Ossett United.

The Reds started brightly, displaying plenty of attacking intent coming off the back of Sunday's 2-0 away win against Sunderland West End. After just four minutes, Amy Dawson got the better of the Ossett goalkeeper from a one-on-one opportunity, but was unable to control the shot as it deflected off an Ossett defender. The resulting corner kick led to nothing, but a minute later, a flowing move from midfield saw Reds' captain Charley Evans burst from midfield with a powerful shot from outside the box, which once more deflected out for a set-piece.

In the seventh minute, a counter-attack led to a long ball being played into the Barnsley half, leaving the Ossett number 9 one on one with goalkeeper Ashleigh Ridsdel-Harrison. Defender Alayna Millard then sprang into action sprinting across the box and producing an excellent interception to see the ball out of harm's way. However, four minutes later, Barnsley were not so lucky, as the opposition drew first blood. A pass from the midfield to the right flank allowed the Ossett winger to beat both Millard and Louisa Barraclough, before delivering a cross into the box for the opposition forward to slot home past Ridsdel-Harrison.

Barnsley did all they could to jolt themselves into action following this initial setback. After sixteen minutes, a great run down the left by Barraclough allowed her to beat her marker and cut inside to deliver a deft pass to Kim Brown, whose effort was fired agonisingly wide of the mark. And in the 28th minute, Reds' early substitute, Jodie Gregory created space for herself just outside the box, producing an excellent half volley which whistled just wide of the post.

The Reds came close once more eight minutes later, when Dawson received the ball on the edge of the area and hit a powerful curling shot which forced a diving save from the Ossett shot stopper. From this save, a counter attack ensued, leading to Ridsdel-Harrison bravely rushing off her line to clear the attacking threat and prevent a potential two-goal deficit. This spurred Barnsley into action, and a mazy run from Betty Cheetham resulted from this move, which deflected off a defender as the Reds' wing back attempted to work this run into the 18-yard box. The resulting corner kick came out to Beth Ayrton who hit a powerful shot from the edge of the box which was hit over the crossbar, meaning that the Reds entered half time one goal down, but with plenty of positivity on show.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Ossett United 

Again, the Reds started the second half brightly. In the 51st minute, Cheetham received an errant opposition ball from midfield, beating two defenders and laying off to Gregory on the far side of the box, resulting in a drilled shot which was saved by the opposition 'keeper. Three minutes later, a great run into the box saw a well hit one on one effort rattle the post, with Chincharo's rebound failing to hit the target. And Cheetham was on hand in the 57th minute, finding enough space from twenty yards out to hit a long shot which was just aimed over the bar.

With this positive response in mind, it was no surprise to those in attendance that the Reds would find that elusive equaliser. And so it was that in the 63rd minute, Brown passed the ball to Millard on the edge of the area. Spotting the goalkeeper off her line, Millard hit a spectacular lob which looped over the fleeing shot stopper to level the scores.

Barnsley firmly took control of the game following this equaliser. In the 65th minute, a fantastic move from the right flank allowed for Gregory to hit a fantastic right footed shot, hitting the bar and being cleared by an Ossett defender. And in the 76th minute, a corner kick attempt led to an Ossett defender taking Dawson down in the centre of the box, resulting in a spot kick being awarded.

Brown duly stepped up, and in a moment reminiscent of her previous penalty against Sunderland West End, placed a cool effort into the bottom left corner, to ensure that the Reds went one goal up with just over ten minutes to go.

Over the remainder of the fixture, the Reds dug in deep to ensure that the Ossett high press did not result in any significant attacking opportunities. Rebecca Wilson and Ayrton marshalled the defence excellently, and the central trio of Chincharo, Brown and Evans kept play largely restricted to the midfield. The opposition only had one further chance throughout the final ten minutes of the box, with an 81st minute free kick hitting the bar and being cleared away of danger, meaning that Barnsley were able to see out the game to secure a momentous victory and passage into the League Cup final.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Ossett United 

Ridsdel-Harrison, Evans, Wilson, Turton-Burrell, Barraclough, Millard, Brown, Chincharo, Cheetham, Dawson, Gregory

Subs: Gregory, Ayrton, Shaw, Lunn, Holland

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account