Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 March 2023

Match Reports


5 March 2023

Our U18s battled to a 1-1 draw with Burnley at the Oakwell Training Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Callum West’s first half opener was cancelled out by Rafael Monteiro’s spectacular second half free-kick as the spoils were shared in South Yorkshire.

Quick out of the blocks, Barnsley started the game on the front foot, with Monteiro going close in the first minute when his drilled attempt forced a smart save from Charlie Casper.

Minutes later, Burnley’s shot stopper was called upon yet again, this time denying Hayden Pickard’s chipped effort from close-range.

Despite an early period of Reds dominance, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock as West charged into the box before producing a moment of brilliance to curl an impressive strike past Trent Carter-Rogers and into the top corner.

Following their opener, the Clarets were looking to double their advantage. Carter-Rogers was called into action to deny Joe Ashton from point-blank range, with Nathan James’ follow-up fired into the side-netting.

Another period of Barnsley pressure ensued midway through the half, with the Reds desperate to find their way back into the contest. Burnley’s goalkeeper was equal to efforts from Charlie Hickingbottom, Josiah Dyer and Pickard, with our U18s forced to remain persistent in their hunt for the leveller.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Burnley

Nicky Eaden opted to make a triple change at the break, as Josh McKay, Ziggy Kozluk and Leo Farrell took to the field, while Matty Doyle joined them on the hour mark, making his first appearance of the season after returning from an ACL injury.

The first notable piece of action of the half came when a one-two between Farrell and Monteiro resulted in the latter taking aim and striking over the bar.

Soon after, Monteiro was on the ball once again, before the forward appeared to be hacked to the ground, with shouts for a penalty raised, but nothing given.

The Reds continued to dominate throughout the half and would eventually be rewarded for their attacking pursuits. With 10 minutes to go, a poor challenge from Rohan Vaughan resulted in a Barnsley free-kick on the edge of the box. Up stepped Monteiro to curl the ball around the wall and through the keeper’s legs to earn his side a late equaliser.

The final exchanges were few and far between, with both sides settling for a point in a scrappy game.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 1-1 Burnley


REDS XI: Carter-Rogers (GK), Anaman, Pickard, Joof, Hickingbottom (C), Murchison, Yoganathan, Makiessi, Dyer, Chapman, Monteiro.

Subs: Ravenhill (GK), McKay, Farrell, Doyle, Kozluk.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account