Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 July 2023

Match Reports


8 July 2023

Our second pre-season outing against AFC Fylde was cut short just before the hour mark due to inclement weather.

Leading 2-0 thanks to first half goals from Devante Cole and Herbie Kane, the referee took the decision to abandon this contest as flashes of lightning forked across the sky overhead, with player welfare a major concern.

It was a shame to bring an end to what had otherwise been an entertaining fixture between two sides who played attractive football.

We made a bright start to the encounter and, having already applied pressure to the Fylde goal, made the breakthrough when Cole latched onto Adam Phillips’ through ball and confidently slotted beyond Theo Richardson.

The hosts searched for an immediate response and almost got it as their trialist left winger skated past a couple of challenges and unleased a fierce drive that Ben Killip tipped over before it could sail into the roof of his net.

Liam Kitching met a corner with a firm header and James Norwood also tested Richardson as the Reds looked for a second, which duly came via a moment of brilliance from Kane.

Having intercepted a loose pass in his own half, our midfielder glanced up and saw Richardson well off his line and took aim with a marvellous attempt that nested superbly into the back of the net without bouncing.

Five minutes before the break, we should have had a third following intricate build-up play on the right, with Phillips pulling it back for Norwood who steered narrowly wide of the far post.

Fylde had their moments throughout the half, with Nick Haughton coming closest as he tested Killip with a stinging free-kick from 25-yards, but it was a relatively routine opening 45 for Barnsley.

HALF-TIME: AFC Fylde 0-2 Barnsley

As the second period got underway, the heavens opened, with a torrential downpour saturating the playing surface – accompanied by rolls of thunder and flashes of lightning in the Lancashire sky.

Shortly before the hour mark, with the weather worsening, the referee decided to call time on this encounter, taking the players from the pitch in the interest of health and safety.



REDS XI (First Half): Killip (GK), Williams, Moon, Łopata, Kitching (C), Cadden, Phillips, Kane, Ackroyd, Cole, Norwood.

Subs: Searle (GK), Joof, Pickard, Jalo.

REDS XI (Second Half): Killip (GK), Cotter, James, Doyle, Shepherd, Winfield, Ackroyd (C), Chapman, Marsh, Shaw Jalo.

Subs: Searle (GK), Joof, Pickard, Leya Iseka.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account