Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 September 2022

Match Reports


17 September 2022

Barnsley registered an eye-catching win on their travels this afternoon.

Goals from Devante Cole, Robbie Cundy and James Norwood helped a Reds side to three points despite seeing Liam Kitching sent off and losing goalkeeper Brad Collins to injury in a second half fraught with incident.

After another impeccable minute’s silence observed for Her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, the Reds kicked off towards the home fans in the North Stand at The Abbey in the Autumn sunshine.

It was the U’s supporters who were nearly celebrating first off though, after Sam Smith had an early sight of goal for the hosts after a cut back from Shilow Tracey found the striker whose effort cannoned back off the post in the 6th minute.

But the Reds rallied, found their feet and took a deserved lead. A pass inside from the right flank by Jordan Williams found Liam Kitching in space on the edge of the area. The centre-back screwed a pass through for Cole who coolly rolled the ball beyond U’s keeper Dimi Mitov and broke the deadlock in Cambridgeshire on 24 minutes.

The home side nearly went into the half level in the dying moments of the first half, after George Williams cut one back for Harvey Knibbs in the area, and at the second bite of the cherry he was able to shoot from close range but couldn’t get a clean connection on the strike, with Brad Collins clutching the ball gratefully, sending the Reds into the break with their lead intact.

HALF TIME: Cambridge 0-1 Barnsley

A reaction would have been top of the agenda for the U’s at half-time and just after the restart they nearly found one. A headed clearance fell to Liam O’Neil on the edge of the area who struck a sweet half volley towards the bottom corner of Brad Collins’ goal, but our ‘keeper was able to push it round the post in real style.

The home side were looking threatening every time they ventured forward, having started to go more direct in an effort to fight back. A ball hooked over the top called on Collins to come and deal with the danger. Our number 40 bravely challenged with Knibbs, coming off worse after the clash. A long stoppage ensued whilst Collins received treatment, with Jamie Searle eventually being introduced as his replacement, thus making his debut for the club.

Kitching had a coming together by the touchline, and received a second booking on 68 minutes after being accused of bringing down a Cambridge man on the attack.
Despite going a man behind, it was the Reds who next worked the ‘keeper. Good link-up play between the strikers allowed Aitchison to drive into the area and unleash a powerful strike, stinging the palms of Mitov.

The pressure from Michael Duff's side continued, despite being a man light. 
The Reds doubled their lead when Josh Benson crossed from the right, with the ball taking a deflection and looping to the back stick. Cundy leapt the highest and sent a looping effort into the top right-hand corner in the 76th minute.

It became 3-0 before the end as sub forward James Norwood finished in style, one-on-one, sending the travelling Reds faithful into raptures.

Barnsley could even have added further goals, with Benson, Williams and Cole having further attempts as the 14 added minutes elapsed.

An impressive performance and a fine result for Duff's men. 

FULL-TIME: Cambridge 0-3 Barnsley

Collins (Searle), Williams, Edwards (Cadden), Cundy, Andersen, Kitching, Kane, Wolfe, Thomas (Benson), Aitchison (Norwood), Cole. 

Unused: McCarthy, Hondermarck, Martin.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account