Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


5 February 2022

Match Reports


5 February 2022

Barnsley exited the Emirates FA Cup after a 1-0 defeat at Huddersfield Town on Saturday afternoon.

Duane Holmes scored the only goal of the fourth round tie on a blustery day in West Yorkshire.

Poya Asbaghi made six changes from the midweek defeat to Cardiff City, with Jack Walton continuing his appearances in the cup competitions, while there were full debuts for loan signing Amine Bassi and academy graduate Aiden Marsh. Aapo Halme also made his return from injury.

After an uneventful start from both sides, Huddersfield took the lead with the first real chance of the game when Holmes latched onto Josh Koroma’s headed knockdown and confidently drilled low beyond Walton.

Within moments, the Reds were almost level through a huge piece of luck as Naby Sarr sliced Liam Kitching’s devilish left wing cross against his own post before the ball bounced across the face of goal and out of play.

Former Town academy graduate Jordan Williams, who made a bright start to the contest, then had time to pick his spot from inside the area but could only lash wildly into the stand behind.

Just after the half hour mark, Walton was forced into action following a quick Huddersfield counter-attack as he got down smartly to parry Koroma’s effort before Mads Andersen blocked Jon Russell’s follow-up.

Shortly before half-time, the hosts had a glorious opportunity to double their advantage as Koroma stole in ahead of Williams, but Walton raced out to smother the danger on the edge of his box.

HALF-TIME: Huddersfield Town 1-0 Barnsley

After a lacklustre first half, Barnsley rung the changes at the interval and introduced Michał Helik, Josh Benson and Carlton Morris in place of Halme, Marsh and Aaron Leya Iseka.

It appeared to have the desired effect, despite playing against the wind, the Reds had control of midfield and created a couple of good chances before the hour mark.

First, Benson just couldn’t quite get enough on a deft flick from inside the six-yard box before he then turned provider for Kitching at the far post, but his header sailed harmlessly beyond the upright.

The Reds were in the ascendency, and the ever-influential Morris drove down the left flank, cut back on his right foot and whipped a fine effort narrowly wide.

With Barnsley committing players forward in search of an equaliser, gaps began to open up and the Terriers thought they had a second only for Sorba Thomas to be denied by an offside flag.

Town substitute Daniel Sinani flashed a long-range effort wide before Danny Ward saw his low effort brilliantly tipped onto the post by Walton moments after being introduced from the bench.

As we entered three minutes off added time, Benson floated an inviting cross into the box that Helik headed into the bottom corner, only for referee Jeremy Simpson to controversially chalk off for a push on Matty Pearson, although replays suggest contact was minimal.

It was harsh on the Reds, who battled hard and were unable to force at least extra-time.

FULL-TIME: Huddersfield 1-0 Barnsley


REDS XI: Walton (GK), Williams, Andersen (C), Halme (Helik, 46), Kitching, Gomes, Palmer (Cole, 77), Marsh (Benson, 46), Bassi, Styles, Leya Iseka (Morris, 46).

Not used: Collins (GK), Jinadu (GK), Vita, Hondermarck, Thompson.

TERRIERS XI: Blackman (GK), Pipa (Turton, 30), Pearson (C), Rhodes (Ward, 84), Koroma (Sinani, 60), Ruffels, Thomas, Homles (Lees, 84), Sarr, Russell, Eiting (O’Brien, 60).

Not used: Nicholls (GK), Toffolo, High, Campbell.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account