Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 February 2022

Match Reports


12 February 2022

A second half screamer from Domingos Quina saw Barnsley to a deserved victory over an in-form R's side at Oakwell this afternoon.

The Reds picked up a huge three points at Oakwell against high-flying Rangers, with loanee midfield man Domingos Quina rocketing home a winner from the edge of the box with less than 20 minutes to play. 

Head Coach, Poya Asbaghi made one enforced change from the midweek lineup that had been narrowly beaten at Luton Town, with Jordan Wiliams replacing the injured Liam Kitching in the Barnsley back three. 

Making his 97th appearance for the club, Williams would impress, alongside all of his teammates as the Swede's side put in a performance across 90 minutes that pleased the Oakwell faithful. 

It was a front-foot start from Barnsley, with Carlton Morris testing the R's 'keeper David Marshall from range inside the opening moments, before Josh Benson curled a 30-yard free-kick over the crossbar on 10 minutes. 

There was little in response from the visitors who'd won their previous five trips on the road, and the Reds were camped inside the R's half, attempting to find the opening but as ever recently, the end-product was missing.

Williams charged out of the back-line and through midfield at pace before fizzing a strike just over the bar before the impressive Amine Bassi curled a yard wide after linking nicely with Morris 25 yards from goal.

But the goal the Reds' play had merited, didn't arrive, but it was a confident first 45 for Asbaghi's side going into the interval.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-0 QPR

A rather cagey start to the second period saw the London club grow into proceedings somewhat, and Michał Helik had to be sharp to block Andre Gray's strike from inside the box after the always-dangerous Ilias Chair had threaded a ball into the forward. 

But the Reds regained their composure, and, control of the game after the hour-mark and both of Callum Styles and Claudio Gomes sent efforts over the bar after some intricate attacking approach play. 

The goal arrived for Barnsley on 74 minutes when Quina picked up possession just over halfway, burst forwards towards the box and rifled in a powerful effort that may have took a deflection, and certainly took Marshall by surprise who could only watch as the ball crashed into the roof of his goal in front of the adoring Ponty End.

We hung in there and saw out the game in good fashion, limiting the opposition to crosses from out wide, dealt with superbly by the likes of Helik and captain, Mads Andersen, whilst Rémy Vita coped brilliantly with the tricky R's substitute Albert Adomah.

A big win for the Reds as the gap to safety is cut to five points.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 1-0 QPR

Collins, Williams, Helik, Andersen, Styles, Vita, Benson (Palmer), Gomes, Bassi, Quina (Cole), Morris.

Unused: Walton, Halme, Hondermarck, Wolfe, Moon.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account