Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 December 2022

Match Reports


29 December 2022

Barnsley rounded off 2022 with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Fleetwood Town in an eventful encounter at Oakwell.

James Norwood’s second half thunderbolt was cancelled out by Admiral Muskwe’s penalty before Robbie Cundy planted an unstoppable header home with four minutes remaining to claim an important win.

The Reds largely dominated proceedings, particularly in the opening stages and had a good opportunity to take the lead when Nicky Cadden’s cross evaded the head of Norwood and bounced off Devante Cole’s knee in the six-yard box before being hacked clear.

Cadden again was instrumental shortly after as he slipped in Norwood, who saw his effort blocked well by visiting goalkeeper Jay Lynch.

Full of confidence and knocking the ball around comfortably, Barnsley continued to push forward, and Herbie Kane tried his luck from distance with a fine effort that whistled narrowly past the upright.

Midway through the half, Jordan Williams skipped down the right flank and fired a low cross on a plate for Cole, who couldn’t quite adjust his feet in time and the ball bobbled into the hands of Lynch.

Adam Phillips also glanced a header over the bar as we probed for a way through but were ultimately left frustrated going into the interval.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Following a less than eventful start to the second half, Barnsley eventually made the breakthrough when Norwood rifled an unstoppable strike that crashed into the roof of the net from an acute angle just after the hour mark.

However, against the run of play, Fleetwood were awarded a penalty as Muskwe was sent tumbling in the area by Mads Andersen and the Zimbabwean forward duly stepped up to convert from 12-yards to level arrears.

That sparked the Reds back into life, and we almost edged ahead moments later when Cole’s backheel found Norwood, but his attempt was blocked by a sprawling defender.

Tempers boiled over in the last 10 minutes as Norwood was denied what appeared to be a blatant penalty after being bundled to the ground. In the chaos that ensued, Head Coach Michael Duff was dismissed by referee Benjamin Speedie, much to the dismay of 10,000 natives inside Oakwell.

From the resulting corner, Cundy rose highest to power home Luca Connell’s expert delivery to a cacophony of noise from three sides of the ground, which was bouncing with the Reds on their way to three crucial points.

Six minutes of additional time were indicated, and Barnsley saw it out with minimal fuss to make it six wins from seven in the league and solidify their place in the play-off spots heading into the New Year.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Fleetwood Town


REDS XI: Collins (GK), Williams, Cundy, Andersen (C), Kitching, Cadden, Phillips (Wolfe, 65), Connell, Kane (Jalo, 85), Cole (Martin, 85), Norwood.

Nort used: Walton (GK), Moon, Larkeche, Ackroyd.

FLEETWOOD XI: Lynch (GK), Andrew, Sarpong-Wiredu, Mendes Gomes (Hayes, 67), Vela (C), Morton (Lane, 78), Warrington (Omochere, 88), G Garner (Muskwe, 67), Nsiala, Johnston, Earl.

Not used: Stolarczyk (GK), J Garner, Batty.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account