Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 November 2021

Match Reports


24 November 2021

Barnsley fell to a 2-0 home defeat to Swansea City in the first game of the Poya Asbaghi era.

Strikes from Oliver Ntcham and Jamie Paterson after the interval were enough to send the visitors back to South Wales with all three points.

The first half yielded little goalmouth action as both sides struggled to create opportunities in the final third.

Although Swansea enjoyed the bulk of possession, they barely laid a glove on the compact Reds.

When Russell Martin’s men did probe, they were met with an organised defence marshalled by Michal Helik and Jasper Moon.

Jordan Williams made a crucial interception to prevent a Korey Smith pass reaching Ethan Laird as he surged into the box, shortly before Callum Britain thwarted Smith by hooking a teasing cross clear before it reached the Swansea man.

After a prolonged spell camped inside their own half, the Reds surged forward at pace and worked the ball to Dominik Frieser, who saw his effort from the edge of the box blocked.

A neat exchange between Callum Styles and Cauley Woodrow then allowed the former to begin racing towards the box, but a foul by Kyle Naughton brought the move to an abrupt end.

In the latter stages of the first-half, Styles was forced to be alert to block a Laird header and Joel Piroe sent a low drive wide of the post from a promising position inside the box.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-0 Swansea City

Both sides emerged for the second-half with increased urgency and it took just seven minutes for Devante Cole to have the Oakwell faithful on their feet.

He made an incisive dart into the box from the right flank before squaring to Woodrow, but the Reds captain could not strike the ball cleanly under close pressure from his marker.

Rallied by the opportunity, Barnsley remained on the front foot and Josh Benson was handed an opportunity to test Ben Hamer with a free-kick when Romal Palmer was bundled to the ground.

Benson struck with power but could not find the target with his effort to the relief of the visitors.

A lull in proceedings followed but Swansea caught a glimpse of goal through Laird, who latched on to a lifted delivery from Paterson but saw his header kept out.

The visitors then took the lead through Ntcham, who had not been on the pitch for long when he steered past Brad Collins after meeting a delivery from fellow substitute Ryan Manning.

The lead was soon doubled when Paterson was allowed to advance unchallenged before unleashing a low drive into the bottom corner.

Swansea’s well-drilled defence did not give Barnsley an opportunity to respond and Russell Martin’s men sprayed the ball around with composure as the clock ticked towards the full-time whistle.

They did not relinquish their attacking intent despite their lead and Liam Cullen sent a shot whistling past the woodwork in the dying embers.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 0-2 Swansea City

Barnsley: Collins, Williams, Styles, Brittain, Woodrow (c), Benson, Moon, Palmer (Oularé 77), Frieser (Leya Iseka 57’), Helik, Cole (Morris 57’).

Unused: Walton, Sibbick, Gomes, Adeboyejo.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account