Barnsley Football Club united as part of a football collective this weekend to boycott social media platforms.
- Led by football, sport has united across the world to call on social media companies to do more to #StopOnlineAbuse
- We have shown the power of the collective and the ball is now in the court of social media companies to step up and use their powers to affect change
- As a sport we appreciate the power of a connected world and know the benefits social media brings but this cannot be at any cost
- Football and sport has shown we are ready to take voluntary and proactive action in the face of online abuse and hate
- We invite social media companies to respond to our requests and will engage with them as we seek urgent change to the status quo
- We urge all users of social media to call out and report online hate when they see it – together we must #StopOnlineAbuse
- Likewise we call on Government to introduce strong legislation in its Online Safety Bill that will hold social media companies accountable