Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 July 2021

Match Reports


23 July 2021

The Reds completed their week-long stay in Loughborough with a run-out against League One outfit Morecambe this afternoon.

Despite dominating the encounter, Barnsley couldn't find a way through their hardworking opponents and the game fizzled out somewhat second half. 

Again, set up in a 3-4-3 formation, Markus Schopp's side had lots of possession and in the first 30 minutes looked like they could score each time they came forward.

Operating as the left-sided wing-back, Jordan Williams found himself in behind the Morecambe right back on a number of occasions and was the chief danger-man in that opening period.

On three minutes, finding himself in space on that flank, Jordan pulled back to the edge of the 'D' and Marcel Ritzmaier tried his luck first time, only to see the ball float well over the crossbar.

Ritzmaier then jinked inside his man 40 yards from goal and released Cauley Woodrow inside the box with a dinked effort, but the captain was closed down quickly by the 'keeper. 

The Shrimps' stopper, former Reds goalkeeper Kyle Letheren was then quickly off his line to thwart Carlton Morris one-on-one following a quickly taken free-kick. 

Williams once more marauded forward down the left, beat his marker and cut inside onto his stronger foot but saw his curling effort from the edge of the box saved comfortably by Letheren.

It was the impressive Jordan who came closest to breaking the deadlock when he arrived far stick to slam an effort against the woodwork with Letheren beaten. 

Morecambe responded 10 minutes prior to the break when Cole Stockton tried a first-time effort from the edge of the box but it whistled wide of a bored-looking Brad Collins' goal. 

Woodrow tested Letheren at the other end from range with half-time approaching but the interval arrived with the scoreline untroubled. 

HALF-TIME: Reds 0-0 Morecambe

The high intensity football from Barnsley resumed straight after the break, with Reds players camped in the opposition half and some great football played in and around the box, but the chances weren't coming for Schopp's side. 

Just pior to a raft of changes, Morris sliced an effort over the bar after some great interplay with Woodrow on the edge of the penalty area. 

The likes of Morris, Woodrow, Williams, Callum Styles, Liam Kitching and Michał Helik were all replaced by now and the game became, as ever, a little less eventful. The opposition themselves made a handful of changes also. 

Shrimps forward Josh McPake fired wide after a great bit of play by Wes McDonald had opened up the space on the counter attack. It was the nearest that Morecambe came to getting ahead. 

Substitute Dominik Frieser, making his first appearance this pre-season then found himself one-on-one with Letheren, bearing down on goal, the Austrian forward saw his well-struck effort parried by the onrushing 'keeper. 

Another sub in Devante Cole had the last chance when he lashed a fierce half-volley a foot wide after neat link play involving Herbie Kane and Cameron Thompson. 

It had been a long and hard week at Loughborough in sweltering conditions, double sessions as the Reds inched closer to the new season. Another 90 minutes of football will have helped preparations enormously.

FULL-TIME: Reds 0-0 Morecambe

Collins, Brittain, Moon (Pache), Helik (Frieser), Kitching (B.Williams), J.Williams (Miller), Styles (Kane), Ritzmaier, Woodrow (Cole), Morris (Thompson), Oduor.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account