Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 January 2021

Match Reports


10 January 2021

Barnsley progressed to the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-0 victory at home to Tranmere Rovers on Sunday afternoon.

Michael Helik’s second half header was added to by Cauley Woodrow’s penalty deep into stoppage time to see the Reds safely through.

After a cagey start from both sides, it was Barnsley who registered the first shot in anger as Conor Chaplin whistled an effort narrowly wide of the upright that rippled the side netting.

Moments later, our diminutive forward brought the ball down well and finished neatly at the near post only to see the linesman’s flag raised.

The Reds continued to carve out openings at will, with intricate play around the area leading to a half-chance for Callum Styles before Dominik Frieser saw an effort hacked clear after Woodrow had seen his effort saved by Scott Davies.

Those two combined shortly after, with the Austrian bursting down the left flank and picking out our top scorer with a pin-point cross but Woodrow’s glancing header flashed just wide of the far post.

But Rovers still posed a threat on the counter and when Kayne Woolery broke down the right wing, Brad Collins had to be at his best to thwart James Vaughan with his legs.

Barnsley still had time to launch another attack of their own before the interval, but the visitors stood strong as the ever-lively Chaplin saw his shot blocked by a sprawling defender.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-0 Tranmere Rovers 

Woolery continued to be a thorn in the Reds’ side and he sped clear once more in the opening stages of the second half, but his low cross evaded Morgan Ferrier in the area.

Shortly before the hour mark, though, Barnsley made the breakthrough when substitute Luke Thomas linked up well with Alex Mowatt and Herbie Kane before the latter floated a ball in for Helik to head home.

The visitors searched for a way back into the game and Otis Khan fired a free-kick over Collins’ bar from 25-yards midway through the half before Woolery lashed a half-volley over moments later.

With Tranmere searching for an equaliser, the Reds were able to exploit gaps and Callum Styles found space inside the box but saw his shot cannon back off Victor Adeboyejo.

As time ticked away, Thomas was hauled over inside the area by a Rovers defender and Woodrow confidently stepped up to slam home and secure safe passage to the next round.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 2-0 Tranmere Rovers


Collins, Sollbauer (Sibbick), Helik, Andersen, Brittain (J Williams), Kane, Mowatt (c) (Palmer), Styles, Frieser (Thomas), Woodrow, Chaplin (Adeboyejo).

Unused: Walton, Moon, Oduor, Schmidt.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account