Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 August 2021

Match Reports


10 August 2021

Barnsley knocked out of the Carabao Cup after penalty shootout.

After a pretty nondescript cup tie here in Bolton, the Reds were dumped out by Sky Bet League One newboys Bolton Wanderers, eliminated on penalties after a goalless draw in regulation time.

It was a much-changed Reds lineup for this first round tie, with eight players dropping out after the weekend's trip to Cardiff City on the opening day of the 21/22 season. 

But the amount of new faces didn't affect a very fluent looking Barnsley, particularly in the early exchanges here at the University of Bolton Stadium. 

The Reds could have gone ahead inside the first couple of minutes when after some good link-up play amongst the front three, the ball made its way out onto the right flank and George Miller - making his long-awaited full debut - put over a perfect cross that Victor Adeboyejo met sweetly enough around six yards out, but it was straight at 'keeper Joel Dixon who repelled the effort with strong hands but only as far as Cauley Woodrow and he tapped home from a yard out but from an angle, yet the linesman flagged for offside.

Replays suggest the skipper was onside as Adeboyejo headed the initial cross goalwards.

From the other wing, Jordan Williams delivered another inch-perfect ball towards the six yard box but the late-arriving Clarke Oduor couldn't quite get enough purchase on his sliding effort to force the ball beyond the hosts' 'keeper.

Polish international Michał Helik had to be at his imperious best soon after to thwart Eoin Doyle inside the Reds box with a last-ditch tackle. But it was all Barnsley for the most part in the opening 45, with the home side restricted to the occasional counter attack.

But after Adeboyejo had fired a powerful effort wide of goal having been sent through by Oduor, our opponents had their best chance of the half when centre half George Johnston found himself with room and time inside the box after a neatly-worked Bolton move but his shot was pretty weak in the end and straight at Jack Walton.

HALF-TIME: Bolton 0-0 Reds

The second period wasn't the best spectacle and chances for either side were few and far between. 

Oduor had a presentable opportunity when he found some space on the right side of the box, but having cut in onto his left foot, instead of going for placement he went for power and lashed his shot well wide of goal. 

Walton had to be alert to deny the hosts who put over some interesting balls from the right wing with ex-Red Lloyd Isgrove a nuisance as always, but our number one was down well to deny Wanderers on two occasions with smart saves. 

Despite three changes for both sides, there was little else in terms of openings, other than substitute Devante Cole's near post header that was comfortably saved after fine work wide right by Miller.

But the home side did dominate the last 10 minutes, going long at every opportunity and caused panic in the Reds' box on one or two occasions, but the deadlock remained unbroken.

And so the game went to penalty kicks, and Cole's decisive effort was saved by Dixon and fellow sub Josh Sheehan fired home for a 5-4 shootout victory for Wanderers.

A first round exit for Markus Schopp's outfit, and all focus quickly shifts to back-to-back home league fixtures, kicking off with Coventry City's visit this Saturday at 3pm.

FULL-TIME: Bolton 0-0 Reds (Bolton win 5-4 on pens)

Walton, Moon, Helik, Halme, Miller, J.Williams, Styles (Kane), Benson, Adeboyejo (Thompson), Woodrow (Cole), Oduor.

Unused: Collins, Sibbick, Frieser, Sraha.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account