Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 October 2020

Match Reports


17 October 2020

Cauley Woodrow’s 102nd minute penalty secured a dramatic point for the Reds in a thrilling encounter with Bristol City at Oakwell.

Barnsley were good value for the draw after going toe-to-toe with the Sky Bet Championship’s early pacesetters on Saturday afternoon.

And it was Adam Murray’s side who made the perfect start as Michal Helik rose highest to head home Romal Palmer’s deep corner to open his Reds’ account inside the first minute.

That goal spurred the visitors into life and Andreas Weimann came close to levelling moments later when he glanced a header narrowly wide from.

Both teams were enjoying an equal share of possession, but neither really created any clear-cut scoring chances until six minutes before the interval when Jordan Williams had to be alert to keep Nahki Wells’ effort out on the line.

Michael Sollbauer had the half’s final opportunity as he met Conor Chaplin’s free-kick, but Max O’Leary gathered his attempt comfortably.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 1-0 Bristol City

If the Reds had made a flying start to the first half, it was anything but as the second got underway.

Within two minutes of the restart, the Robins had drawn level as Jack Hunt fired in via a deflection off Mads Andersen after a goalmouth scramble.

One soon became two just moments later when Tyreeq Bakinson took aim from 20-yards and his effort clipped off Alex Mowatt’s heel, wrong-footed Jack Walton and found its way into the bottom corner.

It was harsh on Barnsley, who had more than held their own throughout the encounter, but this spirited bunch never say die.

A couple of substitutions and a tactical tweak saw the Reds approach the game with more impetus, with Luke Thomas and Sollbauer providing a dangerous outlet on the right flank.

Walton had to be at his best to deny Weimann with a fine save down to his right before Jordan Williams lofted a ball forward deep into stoppage time. Sollbauer climbed highest to win the header and was clattered by Callum O’Dowda, and referee Leigh Doughty pointed to the spot.

After a lengthy delay to treat the Austrian, Woodrow kept his composure to crash a deserved equaliser home 12 minutes into stoppage time with the last kick of the game.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City 

REDS XI: Walton, J.Williams, Sollbauer, Helik, Andersen, Oduor (Simoes), Palmer (Kane), Mowatt (c), Thomas, Woodrow, Chaplin (Frieser).

Unused: Collins, Brittain, Christie-Davies, Schmidt.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account