Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 0-2 Cardiff City

7 March 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 0-2 Cardiff City

7 March 2020

Another defeat for Barnsley at Oakwell as quick-fire Cardiff double seals  a disappointing afternoon for the Reds.

Two goals in the space of a minute during the second half of this game were enough to condemn Barnsley to a damaging Oakwell defeat.

Gerhard Struber had recalled full-back Ben Williams and midfielder Luke Thomas ahead of this one, with Jordan Williams dropping down to the bench and Clarke Oduor failing to make the matchday 18.

It's difficult to report much of note from what was a very uneventful first half, with chances at a premium in a scrappy contest. 

The game started brightly enough with Cauley Woodrow blasting a shot a yard wide having been teed up by Jacob Brown on the edge of the Cardiff box, but there was genuinely nothing of any further significance until around the half-hour mark when Thomas blazed wide having cut in from the right flank. 

Just before the break, the visitors had their first attempt of the game as Albert Adomah tested Brad Collins with a stinging effort that the Reds stopper parried behind at his near post.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-0 Cardiff

The second period brought about a different look to the game, as the Welsh outfit dominated for a 20-minute spell which nearly brought about the opener on two or three occasions, as Junior Holiett somehow spooned over from a couple of yards out after Aapo Halme missed a low cross into the near post.

Collins then dropped a high-ball under pressure and when Calum Paterson tried to take advantage, he looked to have been stopped by Collins with the ref waving away the Cardiff appeals for a spot-kick.

The Reds 'keeper was then superb to save a Joe Bennett strike with his feet, eight-yards out, but it was only a matter of time before the Bluebirds took the lead. 

It happened in the 65th minute. Another raid down the right-hand side and after one shot was blocked brilliantly on the line by Kilian Ludewig, former Rotherham United man Will Vaulks was on hand to slam home the rebound. 

Straight from the restart, Cardiff doubled their well-deserved lead when a ball in-behind the Reds defence was latched onto by the impressive Paterson and he finished one-on-one beyond Collins.

There was never any sign of a Reds comeback, as the battle for survival was dealt a huge blow.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 0-2 Cardiff

Collins (GK), Ludewig, Halme, Sollbauer, B.Williams, Mowatt, Ritzmaier, Thomas, Woodrow, Chaplin (Schmidt), Brown (Simoes).

Unused: Walton (GK), J.Williams, Dougall, Bähre.

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account