Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Portsmouth 4-2 Barnsley

Reds exit cup at Fratton Park

25 January 2020

Barnsley were dumped out of the FA Cup by League One Portsmouth this afternoon.

The Reds were second best on a dismal trip to the South Coast as goals from Ben Close, John Marquis, Ronan Curtis and Christian Burgess saw this season's cup exploits abruptly ended at Fratton Park.

Gerhard Struber had given a debut to latest signing, Michael Sollbauer who lined up in defence and Cauley Woodrow returned to the starting XI and took the captain's armband with Alex Mowatt on the bench.

In what was a very sloppy start for both sides, it was the hosts who first tried their luck when Pompey skipper Tom Naylor dragged an effort wide from the edge of the box. 

The Reds had their own opportunity when Marcel Ritzmaier fired over from just inside the box after a flowing move down the right-hand side. 

Brad Collins was fortunate after 25 minutes when his attempted clearance cannoned off the rear end of John Marquis and could only watch on as the ball rebounded just a foot wide of his empty net.

But the home side did take the lead some 10 minutes later when after the Reds failed to clear their lines, Andy Cannon produced some skill to open space which Ben Close took advantage of, firing in brilliantly from 20 yards out, beating Collins to his left. 

It was 2-0 right on half-time when a corner to the back post was headed home by Marquis and that left Barnsley with it all to do after the interval.

HALF TIME: Pompey 2-0 Barnsley

Despite the half-time introduction of Alex Mowatt who replaced Luke Thomas, the home side were still in control for the opening stages of the second period. 

Only a last-ditch Mads Andersen intervention denied Pompey a third before the Reds grabbed a lifeline, and what a way to do it..

Woodrow picked up possession about 30 yards from goal, central and unleashed an unstoppable effort that reduced the deficit. 

It should have been 2-2 a couple of minutes later when Brown was picked out perfectly by Chaplin but the striker's finish was poor, shooting wide from around eight yards out. 

The hosts punished Barnsley almost immediately..

A long punt down field saw Curtis in a race towards goal with Sollbauer with the Pompey livewire coming out the victor as he held off the Austrian and slotted in at Collins' near post for 3-1. 

Struber's men were gifting up opportunities at an alarming rate and after conceding a corner that the referee delayed initially, Burgess rose highest at the back post unopposed and powered home a header with Collins stranded. 

Chaplin got a consolation in stoppage time to mark his return to Fratton Park but it was too little, too late.

The hardy 678 Reds supporters who'd made the long journey deserved much better from their team, as Barnsley's FA Cup run this season was halted at the fourth round stage.

FULL TIME: Pompey 4-1 Barnsley

Collins (GK), J.Williams, Sollbauer, Andersen, Oduor, Halme (Dougall), Ritzmaier, Thomas (Mowatt), Woodrow, Chaplin, Brown.

Unused: Radlinger (GK), B.Williams, Ludewig, Schmidt, Styles.

Advertisement block