Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Fulham 0-3 Barnsley

15 February 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Fulham 0-3 Barnsley

15 February 2020

Two goals from Cauley Woodrow and another from Jacob Brown ensured Barnsley secured a memorable victory over Fulham in the capital.

The Reds were sensational from start to finish and thoroughly merited their three points that keep their survival hopes well and truly alive.

Gerhard Struber made four changes for the trip to Craven Cottage, with Kilian Ludewig, Aapo Halme, Mike Bähre and Luke Thomas all coming into the starting line-up.

It took 18 minutes for either side to register a meaningful attempt on target and it came following good work through Thomas, who beat his man before sliding in Conor Chaplin but the Reds’ forward could only manage a tame effort at Marek Rodak.

Moments later, Woodrow controlled the ball well and took aim from 20-yards, but his strike whistled over the bar.

Barnsley were then awarded a penalty when Brown chased after a long ball over the top and was clattered into by Rodak. Up stepped Woodrow to confidently slam home his 13th goal in all competitions, sending the Fulham stopper the wrong way.

The hosts’ first real attempt in anger came as we approached half-time, with Tom Cairney’s low shot gathered comfortably by Brad Collins.

HALF-TIME: Fulham 0-1 Barnsley

Fulham came out flying after the restart and Sky Bet Championship top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic forced Collins into a fine save with his legs.

The Cottagers then almost benefitted from a crazy goalmouth scramble, with Kevin McDonald seeing his attempt blocked on the line before Josh Onomah fired over.

Barnsley had an opportunity to add a second when Chaplin latched onto Bähre’s long ball, but Rodak came out to smother the effort.

However, a carbon-copy move, this time involving Woodrow and Brown, saw the latter beat Rodak to the ball and dink into an empty net from the edge of the box.

It was so nearly three for the Reds just before the hour mark as Woodrow collected Brown’s pass, but his fierce strike flashed inches wide of the far post.

Then, Collins’ long goal kick evaded the entire Fulham backline and Chaplin raced clear, but his attempt bounced just beyond the upright.

Chaplin had another half-chance shortly after when he was found by Woodrow’s quick free-kick from the halfway line, but the Reds’ forward dragged his shot wide as the visitors continued to force the issue.

Scott Parker’s side still posed a threat and, after making a number of attacking changes, almost halved the deficit as Ivan Cavaleiro cracked a half-volley agonisingly wide.

Substitute Aboubakar Kamara was next to come close as his low drive from 18-yards was brilliantly turned behind by Collins.

The Reds’ stopper was called into action once more as Bobby Decordova-Reid brought down Michael Hector’s knockdown before being thwarted from six-yards.

Having weathered that storm, Barnsley launched another attack. Ludewig picked out Bähre with a fine, drilled pass before the German midfielder played in Woodrow, who shimmied past his man and fired through Rodak and into the far corner.

It was enough to wrap up a magnificent display and send the Reds back with a crucial victory.

FULL-TIME: Fulham 0-3 Barnsley

FULHAM XI: Rodak (GK), Hector, McDonald (Decordova-Reid 53), Mitrovic, Cairney (c) (Arter, 53), Ream, Cavaleiro, Bryan, Knockaert, Onomah, Sessegnon (Kamara, 65)

Not used: Bettinelli (GK), Odoi, Johansen, Christie.

REDS XI: Collins (GK), Ludewig, Sollbauer, Halme, J Williams, Mowatt, Bähre, Thomas (Dougall, 80), Woodrow (Simoes, 90), Brown, Chaplin (Schmidt, 86).

Not used: Walton (GK), B Williams, Oduor, Marsh.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account