Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 0-2 Leeds United

Derby day defeat for the Reds

15 September 2019

Barnsley suffered a 2-0 defeat to Leeds United at Oakwell on Sunday afternoon, as the Sky Bet Championship action resumed following the international break.

In an evenly contested encounter, it was Leeds who came out victorious as two late goals from substitute Eddie Nketiah and a penalty converted by Mateusz Klich, secured all three points for the away side.

The Reds, roared on by a passionate home support, came into the game looking for their first win in six matches in all competitions, after a securing a well-earned point at Wigan last time out.

Daniel Stendel made four changes to the side from two weeks ago, as Jordan Williams, Jacob Brown, Cauley Woodrow and Alex Mowatt all returned to the starting line-up.

The in-form visitors, who lost just one of their last five league games before the international break, started strongly, as Patrick Bamford beat the offside trap and raced through one-on-one with Brad Collins, but the Reds ‘keeper stood firm to deny the striker with his feet.

However, down the other end, Kiko Casilla in the Leeds goal was also called into action early on, as Mallik Wilks stung the palms of the Spaniard with a shot from inside the area, before Luke Thomas forced him into another good save from close range.

In an end-to-end, action packed first half, Bamford was once again prevented by the feet of Collins, before Woodrow and Wilks both had decent chances for the Reds, however it was Jack Harrison with the best opportunity, as he slammed the outside of the post with a shot from the six-yard box.


Following the break, Barnsley started on the front foot, as Brown hit a venomous curling effort from distance, which had Casilla scrambling to tip the ball over the crossbar.

However, seconds later, Leeds countered down the field and had the ball in the back of the net when substitute Hélder Costa crossed low for Bamford to slot home, but the linesman raised his flag and the goal was chalked off for offside.

Wilks, against his former club, looked dangerous in attack all game for Barnsley and almost got his second of the season when he found space on the inside left of the area, but he fired his shot into the side-netting.

The frontman then found himself striding towards goal again, as his pace and power was too hot for the Leeds backline to handle, however out came Casilla to close down the angle and block the effort away.

Substitute Mamadou Thiam was soon involved in the next attack, as Woodrow smashed in a shot from the edge of the area, which was turned around the post by Casilla.

However, it was the Leeds substitute Eddie Nketiah who was the man to break the deadlock in the 84th minute, as he turned in a free-kick at the back post.

Aapo Halme came close to levelling the score for the Reds moments later, as he headed a cross inches over the bar, but it was Leeds who doubled their advantage soon after when they were awarded a penalty for an alleged foul in the area.

Klich stepped up to take the spot-kick and rolled it into the bottom left corner, leaving Collins with no chance.



BARNSLEY XI: Collins, J Williams (Pinillos, 70), Andersen, Brown (Bähre, 79), Woodrow, Cavaré, Thomas (Thiam, 66), Sibbick, Halme, Mowatt (C), Wilks.

Not used: Walton, Chaplin, Green, Oduor.

LEEDS XI: Casilla, White, Cooper (C), Bamford, (Nketiah, 70), Alioski, Dallas, Hernández, Harrison (Costa, 45), Phillips, Klich, Shackleton.

Not used: Meslier, Douglas, Roberts, Berardi, Gotts.

Advertisement block