Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

Reds strike late at Oakwell to claim point

1 November 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

Reds strike late at Oakwell to claim point

1 November 2019

Barnsley fought back from two goals down to claim a hard-fought point against high-flying Bristol City on Friday evening.

Headers from Ashley Williams and Andreas Weimman in either half looked to have set the Robins on course for victory, but the Reds hit back late on through Aapo Halme and a last-gasp Cauley Woodrow leveller to snatch a share of the spoils.

There were chances at both ends in the opening exchanges, with Dimitri Cavaré and Halme coming close for Barnsley with headed attempts, while Callum O’Dowda tested Brad Collins with a low drive from distance.

Midway through the first half, Daniel Bentley produced a fine fingertip save to deny Mallik Wilks’ curling strike following a swift Reds’ counter-attack from a City corner.

The hosts had found a bit of rhythm, and Wilks had another good opportunity moments later as he nodded wide from a Cavaré cross after fine work from Conor Chaplin.

Just after the half hour mark, Wilks was involved yet again as he held off Williams before teeing up Alex Mowatt, who fired agonisingly past the upright with a fierce left-footed drive.

Barnsley continued to knock at the door, but it was another hands-on-head moment as Chaplin saw his low strike superbly turned onto the post by Bentley down to his right.

However, two minutes before the interval, Williams was left unmarked to head home substitute Niclas Elliason’s free-kick to give City the lead.

The Reds continued to push for an equaliser before half-time, but Kenny Dougall bent a long-range shot over the bar in what was the final attack of the half.

HALF-TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Bristol City

Luke Thomas was introduced just before the hour mark as Barnsley looked to inject more energy into the final third, and the England U20 international was straight into the action as he badgered the Robins defence, forcing errors.

The Reds were restricted mainly to efforts from distance, with Woodrow, Bambo Diaby and Mowatt all chancing their luck.

Despite the hosts’ efforts, it was City who struck again through the ever-dangerous Weimann as he flicked home Eliasson’s corner 19 minutes from time.

However, Halme sparked a dramatic revival when he crashed a header beyond Bentley from Mowatt’s corner to give Barnsley hope moments later.

The Reds poured forward in the closing stages for a late leveller and their efforts were rewarded deep into stoppage time as Woodrow bundled the ball home from close range after Elliot Simoes’ cross was diverted goalwards by fellow substitute Patrick Schmidt.

It was no less than Barnsley deserved following a battling display in front of the Sky Sports cameras at Oakwell.

FULL-TIME: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

REDS XI: Collins, Diaby, Halme, Sibbick, Cavaré, Dougall, Mowatt (c), Brown (Simoes, 81), Chaplin (Schmidt, 73), Woodrow, Wilks (Thomas, 58).

Not used: Radlinger, Andersen, Oduor, McGeehan.

ROBINS XI: Bentley, Brownhill (c) (Eliasson, 30), O’Dowda, Weimann, Watkins (Semenyo, 72), Kalas (vc), Moore (Baker, 72), Rowe, Williams, Pereira, Massengo.

Not used: Mäenpää, Wright, Rodri, Palmer.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account