Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Southend 0-3 Barnsley

2 March 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Southend 0-3 Barnsley

2 March 2019

10-men Reds sink the Shrimpers!

A stunning second half display saw 10-man Barnsley take the points and stretch their unbeaten run to 15 league games.

Goals from Cameron McGeehan, Cauley Woodrow and a first for Jordan Green gave Barnsley another priceless victory in their quest for promotion.

Reds Head Coach, Daniel Stendel, made a tactical change to the starting XI that drew with Portsmouth seven days ago, replacing Mike Bӓhre with Kenny Dougall in midfield.

An early aerial battle ended with the ball dropping to Alex Mowatt, who played a first-time ball into an advanced Cameron McGeehan, who didn’t quite connect with the ball.

At the other end, Blues dangerman Simon Cox was released down the right-hand side, before sprinting into the box and firing a low shot into the midriff of Adam Daives, who held well. Shortly after, The Reds had their first real chance. Dimitri Cavaré advanced powerfully down the right-hand side before releasing Jacob Brown, whose cross made its way to Mamadou Thiam on the penalty spot. Taking it on the half volley, it was blazed it over the bar.

A breakaway with Mowatt and Woodrow saw the ball fall to Thiam once more. This time his shot was much closer, with the ball just passing wide of the post. It was then Southend’s attack. A swift run from Cox ended with the ball being cut back with two awaiting Southend men. Thankfully Cavare was alert to the danger. From the resulting corner, McGeehan broke, playing ball out wide to Cavare saw the ball cut back first time to Woodrow. His shot was well saved by Nathan Bishop in the Blues goal, diving to his right.

Then after 35 minutes, a key moment. A high challenge from Brown in the centre of the park on Blues Skipper, Sam Mantom, was right under the referee’s nose. Despite the little contact, Brown was dismissed from the field. On the stroke of half time, Michael Kightly jinked his way into box, releasing a curling shot headed for the bottom corner, before Pinnock made a superb block.

HALF TIME: Southend 0-0 Barnsley

The Reds started the second half brightly, with a Liam Lindsay header cleared from the line, before taking the lead in the 50th minute. A throw on the left-hand side was put into the middle of the field, before the ball was looped into the box, landing on the back of a stooped McGeehan. It fell kindly for him and he reacted superbly, firing a low shot beyond Bishop and into the bottom corner.

From here on, the game opened up, becoming frantic at times, with Southend moving men forward. This left plenty of space for The Reds to exploit. Substitute Mike Bӓhre picked up the ball inside the Southend half, advancing forward and playing an excellent ball to Woodrow inside the box, who made no mistake with his first time shot back across goal.

The Reds didn’t sit back however, with the introduction of Jordan Green seeing Southend regularly hit on the break and Barnsley looking for a third. Sure enough, in added time, a Bӓhre breakaway fell to McGeehan. His shot was saved but Green was on hand to slot into an empty net to complete the win.

FULL TIME: Southend 0-3 Barnsley

Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Brown, Dougall (Green), Mowatt, McGeehan, Thiam (Bähre), Woodrow (Jackson).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account