Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1-4 Sheffield United

27 July 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1-4 Sheffield United

27 July 2019

Pre-season is over as the Reds are well-beaten by the Blades at Oakwell.

On what was a rain drenched day at Oakwell, the Reds had the test of newly-promoted Premier League side and South Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United in their final pre season friendly before the start of the season, playing in their 3rd kit for the first time in front of the fans.

Many supporters from both sets of clubs had flocked through the turnstiles to witness their teams play, giving it a more intense feel to that of a normal friendly encounter.

The opening stages of the game saw United enjoy the majority of possession. But it was the Reds that had the first chance of the game, with Cauley Woodrow’s long range effort being well saved down the centre of the goal by Dean Henderson.

That seemed to be the story for Daniel Stendel’s side’s opening chances as both Cameron McGeehan and Alex Mowatt both saw efforts from distance sail just wide of the mark.

Sheffield United persisted with efforts to make the most of their counter attack, which led to the game's opening goal. Ben Osborn finished past Samuel Radlinger in goal, following what seemed to be a foul on Alex Mowatt in the build-up.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Sheff Utd

There wasn’t much to separate the two teams towards the end of the first half, and the second began just the same. With neither side seeming able to gain control of play. No doubt the wet weather was taking its toll.

The home side had looked very impressive in possession, keeping the ball well with slick, free-flowing football. This being the catalyst for the Reds’ equaliser. Radlinger started the attack, the ball found itself out wide with Ben Williams who did well to find Mallik Wilks. The frontman managed to slide in McGeehan, who picked out the opposite corner.

The second half was much like the first in terms of it being a stalemate. Barnsley enjoyed most of the attacks with frontman Woodrow looking dangerous. But it was United who managed to get the game's next goal, following what seemed to be yet another foul in the build-up, this time on the lively Conor Chaplin.

Callum Robinson with the finish after cutting inside and curling into the far corner, who then scored the Premier League outfit’s third.

The game seemed to be fizzling out as the Red’s made several changes to the starting 11, but United were still on hand to finish the game off 4-1 through Luke Freeman.

FULL TIME: Barnsley 1-4 Sheff Utd

Reds: Radlinger, Sibbick (Cavaré), Andersen (Moon), Diaby, Williams (Pinillos), Thomas (Thiam), Mowatt, McGeehan, Wilks (Miller), Chaplin (Halme), Woodrow (Moore).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account