Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Late penalty denies the Reds

17 August 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Late penalty denies the Reds

17 August 2019

Barnsley forced to settle for a point despite leading twice against the Addicks.

The Reds welcomed fellow newly-promoted side Charlton Athletic to Oakwell this afternoon in front of over 13,000 fans in what would prove to be an exciting affair.

Barnsley were looking to get back to winning ways following two disappointing defeats in their previous two fixtures and also keeping their unbeaten home league run intact whilst Charlton had started the season well with three points against both Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City.

It was the Sky Bet League One playoff winners that initially started the game better, with the first big chance of the game after only two minutes. Left back Ben Purrington found himself on the end of a cross but managed to drag his effort wide from very close range.

As the first half progressed the Reds looked to control the game and enjoyed the majority of possession, as they have done several times this season so far. The high intensity pressing style they are renowned for was in full flow as they looked to win the ball back quickly.

Big chances were few and far between for both sides, but it took a piece of magic from forward Cauley Woodrow to get the Reds on the score-sheet. A blistering volley from the edge of the box found its way into the top corner, giving Addicks ‘keeper Dillon Phillips no chance of keeping it out.

Barnsley dominated the wide areas but struggled to find that finishing touch as the first half looked to fizzle out. But a long ball from the Charlton defence found its way to Jonny Williams who whipped in a cross to Conor Gallagher who slotted past Sami Radlinger.


Daniel Stendel’s side came out firing in the second half, with their high-energy well and truly on show. So much so that after just three minutes from the restart, Conor Chaplin picked up the ball in the box, showed excellent close control and despite the Charlton defence diving in, slotted coolly past the ‘keeper to restore the Reds’ lead.

The game swayed well in favour of the home side as they looked to add to their tally but the efforts from Woodrow and Chaplin were just not enough.

Charlton managed to weather the storm and edged back into the contest. Neither goalkeeper had much to do with Lyle Taylor the only man to test Radlinger as time ran out with a stinging strike that was well parried.

The back four stood very strong to thwart the aerial attack of the away side with both centre backs, Andersen and Diaby in particular looking immense.

But as time ran out, a bundling over of bodies in the box led to the referee awarding Charlton a penalty with Bambo Diaby penalised. Taylor stepped up and placed the ball in the bottom right-hand corner, giving each side a share of the spoils.


Radlinger, Sibbick, Andersen, Diaby, B.Williams, Wilks (Styles), McGeehan, Bähre, Thomas, Chaplin (Thiam), Woodrow.

Unused: Collins, Halme, J.Williams, Cavaré, Schmidt.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account