Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Plymouth 0-3 Barnsley

22 April 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Plymouth 0-3 Barnsley

22 April 2019

A superb Easter weekend was rounded off with a comfortable victory on the south coast as Woodrow, Brown and Mowatt blast the Reds to a third straight win.

Three goals inside 15 first half minutes blew away our Devon hosts here on Easter Monday as Barnsley moved back into the second automatic promotion spot!

Reds Head Coach, Daniel Stendel had made just the one change to his starting XI for this game, with Liam Lindsay returning from injury replacing Adam Jackson at centre half. 

In glorious Devon sunshine, the match began in a very scrappy fashion, but Stendel's men were at least attempting to get the ball down and play, unlike their hosts in the opening stages. 

With eight minutes played a signal of intent from Barnsley as Cauley Woodrow chested a loose ball down 30 yards from goal and rifled an effort that was set for the bottom left-hand corner of 'keeper Kyle Letheren's goal, but the former Reds stopper parried the shot away to safety. 

But on 15 minutes the breakthrough arrived, and it was that man Woodrow once more on the scoresheet, peeling off his marker on the left of the Plymouth penalty area, taking down a delightful diagonal ball sent over by Jordan Williams, just inside the box and immediately firing low and true into the bottom corner with his left foot to give Barnsley a precious lead. 

Pilgrims midfielder Yann Songo'o tried to respond quickly for the home side but his powerful drive from the edge of the Reds' box skidded a foot wide of Adam Davies' goal.

But with 22 minutes on the clock the Reds doubled their advantage, with Jacob Brown doing exactly what Woodrow had previously done, taking down a diagonal ball from a full-back, this time from Dani Pinillos on the left and then finishing in style from close-range with his left foot for 2-0.

Just six minutes later and it was three for Barnsley. After a handball just outside their own box, Plymouth could only stand and admire as Alex Mowatt curled home a delightful free-kick into the top corner. 

There were chances to add even more goals before the break but Pinillos' blockbuster was turned behind by Letheren and then a scramble at the back prevented Cam McGeehan from heading in at the far post. 

HALF TIME: Plymouth 0-3 Barnsley

After the restart, the Reds came out with a more disciplined approach, retaining possession and limiting Argyle to very little of the ball themselves, but there were two chances for Mama Thiam to add to the Barnsley tally.

The first effort was low and hard and comfortably held by the ever-impressive Letheren, the second effort was a wonderful curled shot that looked destined for the top corner as Thiam struck 20 yards out, but the Greens' 'keeper clawed it out of the top corner.

Davies, as captain, led by example when a rare Plymouth break saw Songo'o in on goal on the angle, right hand side but the skipper smothered the effort away superbly. 

There was to be no goal for Thiam as his race was run on 68 minutes; Kieffer Moore continuing his comeback and taking to the field with just over 20 minutes to play. 

Soon afterwards, the excellent Mike Bähre danced into a shooting position on the edge of the area before seeing his bending effort brilliantly turned behind by Letheren who was refusing to concede a fourth goal.

A double change came with 10 minutes left on the clock at Home Park, with Woodrow and Bähre replaced by the fresh legs of Ryan Hedges and Callum Styles respectively and both subs were involved in the latter stages as the Reds looked to put the gloss finish to what was a wonderful Easter Monday display.

Hedges was thwarted by Letheren when he shot from the edge of the box, before Styles robbed a defender at the byline, cut the ball back for the advancing Moore and the big man snatched at his shot, sending it a yard wide of the gaping net.

Moore was to be presented with a second opportunity to bag a goal, slipped in by Styles but his shot from 12 yards flew over the crossbar. 

It was a terrific day's work for Stendel's side, and a Happy Easter weekend!

FULL TIME: Plymouth 0-3 Barnsley

Davies, J.Williams, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Brown, Mowatt, McGeehan, Thiam (Moore), Bähre (Styles), Woodrow (Hedges).

Unused: Walton, Fryers, Jackson, Green.

Att: 10,898 (950 Reds - superb!)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account