Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham

1 September 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham

1 September 2018

The Reds extend their unbeaten start to the season with another home victory, seeing off a dogged Gillingham 2-1 at Oakwell.

A Kieffer Moore brace was enough for Daniel Stendel's side this afternoon, with Josh Parker's second half goal a futile strike in the end, as Reds fans bathed in sunshine saw their men add another three points to the total. 

The Reds' Head Coach named an unchanged starting lineup for the visit of the Gills. 

As ever, it was a rapid start for Stendel's men with George Moncur bending an effort inches wide before Mamadou Thiam crashed an effort against the outside of the foot of the near post. 

Player of the Month for August, Alex Mowatt was next to try his luck - chancing his arm from distance but seeing his effort flash just over the crossbar. 

But the goal came, just three minutes later. 

Some neat interchanges in midfield by Moncur and Thiam allowed room for Moore to run into, but from 25 yards out he tried his luck, and his belting drive beat Gills' 'keeper Tomas Holy all ends up. 

It was all Barnsley in the first half and further chances came and went for Moncur, Moore and Mowatt before the Reds did double their lead just after the half hour mark. 

A well-worked corner routine saw Dani Pinillos played into the box and he was clipped by the defender,with Referee Busby pointing to the penalty spot. 

Up stepped Moore and he put away the spot-kick with ease, to make it six goals from six games. 

Pinillos went close with a blockbuster of a piledriver from 40 yards, Holy had to be sharp to tip it around the posts for a Barnsley corner.

There was a scare for the Reds when Brandon Hanlan cut the ball back for Tom Eaves to slot home, but the Gills frontman had edged offside and it remained 2-0.


HALF TIME: Barnsley 2-0 Gillingham


Within five minutes of the restart it should have been 3-0 and game over, but Moore's effort was wonderfully hooked off the goalline by Bradley Garmston. 

Just before the hour and Davies had to be alert when after a defensive mix-up, Eaves saw a run on goal but his half-volley was acrobatically denied by the Reds 'skipper.

But the goal arrived for the away side, when a corner wasn't suitably cleared and Parker was on hand to stab home from a yard out to give Gillingham a way back into the match. 

Brad Potts was the first player to be replaced by Stendel; Victor Adeboyejo was the replacement.

The Reds regained the impetus and were enjoying much of the possession and carving out chances, including a vicious cross-cum-shot by Moore which Holy repelled superbly. 

On 73 there was a second Reds change as Cameron McGeehan came on for Moncur and with 10 minutes left on the clock the final change being Jacob Brown for Mamadou Thiam. 

Callum Reilly had the last real chance for the away side when his free header from Parker's cross somehow cleared the crossbar when it looked easier to score. 

It was a real battle in the second period but it's another victory for Barnsley and they move up to 3rd in the Sky Bet League One table.


FULL TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham

Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Potts (Adeboyejo 61), Moncur (McGeehan 73), Dougall, Mowatt, Thiam (Brown 81), Moore.

Unused: Walton, J.Williams, Isgrove, Jackson.

Att: 11,434 (259 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account