Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Peterborough 0-4 Barnsley

6 October 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Peterborough 0-4 Barnsley

6 October 2018

It's another victory on the road for Daniel Stendel's men as the Reds thump Peterborough 4-0 at the ABAX Stadium.

Goals from George Moncur, Brad Potts (x2) and Jacob Brown saw the Reds put the Posh to the sword here in Cambridgeshire, after skipper, Adam Davies' stunning spot-kick save early in the first half.

Daniel Stendel had made five changes to the side who'd drawn in midweek against Plymouth at Oakwell. In came Brad Potts after his recent spell out with an injury; Mike Bähre was selected, with returns also for Liam Lindsay in defence and Moncur back in midfield; it was also a first league start for Ben Williams at left back following Dani Pinillos' injury last Tuesday night.

It took just four minutes for the match to spark into life as a quick Reds raid down the right flank saw Dimitri Cavaré and Potts linking up well and Moncur was released into the box right hand side, but his powerful low shot was saved well by Posh 'keeper Aaron Chapman.

On 10 minutes Barnsley swapped sides with Bähre and Williams combining well after a corner wasn't adequately cleared and the latter fired a daisy-cutter towards goal which took a deflection, however, the referee gave a goal kick as the ball whizzed just past the post.

Just three minutes later and the hosts countered quickly through former Reds loanee Ivan Toney and after a block on the edge initially by Davies, the ball ran kindly for Peterborough and Cavaré was adjudged to have clipped his man with referee Darren Drysdale pointing to the spot.

Up stepped Toney in front of his own fans, but his low effort was superbly repelled by Davies down to his left and hooked clear by Williams. A reprieve for the Reds.

Stendel's side charged down the pitch at pace, numbers to the left and right and this time once inside the box, Moncur made no mistake, getting to the ball first and firing home beyond Chapman for 1-0, before celebrating wildly against the club he spent a few months on loan with back in 2016.

On 20 minutes Kieffer Moore bent an effort towards the far corner, low and hard that whistled a foot wide. It was a frantic game at this point, with both sides going for the throat of their opponent, but aside from Marcus Maddison's dangerous set-pieces, the home side were struggling to find a way through the Barnsley backline.

It was Moore going close on 25 minutes as he benefited from a surging Potts run through midfield. The latter slid the big man in and from 12 yards he blasted the ball towards the top left hand corner of the net only to see Chapman pull off a wonder-save, and clean out Moore in the process.

The top scorer was down receiving treatment for a while, he hobbled back on and tried to run off the knock but was substituted shortly after, Jacob Brown taking his place up front.

The Posh started to push the Reds back towards the break, with Bähre on hand to head a goalbound effort from substitute Matt Godden away and once more Barnsley broke at pace, with Williams cynically halted by Toney who was booked for his reckless challenge.

Moments later and Williams won another free-kick, 25 yards from goal left of centre. Alex Mowatt and Moncur stood over it, the former laid it off a couple of yards for the loitering Potts and the Reds midfielder let fly with a rocket that was into the top corner of Chapman's net quicker than he could blink. 2-0 right on half time. It had been some first 45 for the Reds.

HALF TIME: Peterborough 0-2 Barnsley

The game showed zero signs of slowing down following the restart with Lindsay's last-ditch slide-tackle thwarting Godden who was racing towards goal.

Right on the hour mark it was 3-0 Barnsley, and was the sort of goal that epitomises the spirit of Stendel's Reds.

A crunching tackle by Williams on the left flank saw Moncur in space, he danced his way towards goal cutting in on his right foot, laid it off nicely for Potts who somehow got the ball out of his feet to slot home low, into the corner of the net with Chapman possibly unsighted.

Cavaré was booked soon after when he tried to check the run of Maddison. The Posh playmaker was subbed off following the challenge.

Peterborough went close when Mark O'Hara sent a header towards goal but Davies showed safe hands again, clutching the ball away from the top corner.

In the 78th minute Stendel used his bench for a second time as Potts made way for Ryan Hedges.

With five minutes remaining Lindsay was booked for clipping the tricky Toney on halfway and just a minute later a corner was headed goalwards by Godden only for Mowatt to head off the line!

Bähre had been everywhere for the Reds and the German midfielder was the final player subbed off by compatriot Stendel; Mama Thiam came on in his place for the last few minutes plus stoppages.

It was deep into that three minutes of time added on that Barnsley put the cherry on top of the cake, and it was another ruthless attack.

Williams and Moncur involved again, Brown received the ball to the right, edge of the box. He beat his man with one touch and with his second he buried the finish, low and hard into the corner for 4-0.

Another huge victory for the Reds and against a side who remain ahead of them in the table despite this result.

FULL TIME: Peterborough 0-4 Barnsley

Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, B.Williams, Potts (Hedges '78), Bähre (Thiam '89), Dougall, Mowatt, Moncur, Moore (Brown '27).

Att: 7,683 (1,652 Reds)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account