Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1-0 Southend

3 November 2018

It's back-to-back home wins for the Reds as Kieffer Moore strikes late on!

An 87th minute header from top scorer Kieffer Moore decided a scrappy affair at Oakwell, to give the Reds another three points in Sky Bet League One. 


Daniel Stendel had made just one change, with George Moncur dropping down to the bench and Mamadou Thiam taking his place on the left of midfield.

It was an uncharacteristic slow start from Stendel's side with visitors Southend almost grabbing a second minute lead when captain Sam Mantom fired wide 10-yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Dimitri Cavaré had the Reds' best effort in the 14th minute when his near post header from an inswinging Alex Mowatt corner flew inches over the crossbar.

But it was a scrappy first half that Barnsley took a while to grow into. 

The Blues were dominant in the opening half hour but failed to really test Reds captain, Adam Davies in goal. 

In the last 10 minutes of the first half, Stendel's side were on top with Moore, Thiam and Potts all coming close to giving Barnsley the lead. 

Moore saw an effort parried by Blues' keeper Mark Oxley; Thiam just couldn't get his shot away yards out and Oxley claimed it and Potts met a terrific Dani Pinillos cross from the left, a sweet hit on the volley but it missed the post by an inch. 


HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-0 Southend


It was a better start to the second from Barnsley with Thiam again trying his luck from the edge of the box, but his shot whistled a foot wide of the goal. 

Ryan Hedges was introduced on 55 minutes, replacing Mike Bähre as Stendel looked for his side to make the breakthrough.

On 64 minutes Moore's header from a Mowatt cross cannoned back out off the bar, with Cameron McGeehan unable to hook home the rebound from close range.

Just a few minutes later saw the first appearance in a Reds shirt for Cauley Woodrow. He came on to a great ovation, replacing Thiam up front.

Within a minute, Barnsley came even closer to the opening goal, and what a move it was..

Moore flicked a header towards Hedges on the edge of the box, the Welshman's neat flick into the box was met by the onrushing Brad Potts but his powerful effort crashed against the bar and over!

Stendel threw on Moncur for Pinillos with seven minutes left on the clock.

He thought his side had gone ahead when Hedges' cross from the left was slammed home by Woodrow, but the linesman's flag was raised for offside.

But the goal did arrive, four minutes later...

One of many Mowatt corners this time was met powerfully by Moore right next to the 'keeper, and sent the Reds fans into raptures. 

The Reds made it back-to-back victories with a second 1-0 home win on the bounce!


FULL TIME: Barnsley 1-0 Southend


Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos (Moncur), Potts, Mowatt, Bähre (Hedges), McGeehan, Thiam (Woodrow), Moore.

Att: 10,709

Advertisement block