Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 4-0 Notts County

10 November 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 4-0 Notts County

10 November 2018

The Reds are through to the next round of the Emirates FA Cup after blowing Notts County away in a superb second half.

Goals from Cauley Woodrow, Zeki Fryers, Brad Potts and Kieffer Moore in a blistering second 45 saw Daniel Stendel's Reds into the draw for round two of this year's Emirates FA Cup. 


The Reds' Head Coach had given a start to Fryers at left back and for the first time this season Moore and Woodrow were partnered together up front in a 4-4-2 system.


As good as the second half was, the first was largely quiet with neither side making the most of presentable opportunities. 

The Reds should have scored on seven minutes when Alex Mowatt's clever dink over the defence saw Moore in on goal, to the left a little, but the big man's attempted volley flew well over the crossbar. 


Nathan Thomas, on loan with Notts from Sheffield United was soon given an even better chance to open the scoring. He found himself in on goal, 10 yards out after a lucky deflection, but he tamely shot wide.


There were further half chances for Moore, Woodrow and Thiam but Magpies' 'keeper Ross Fitzsimons was on top form to deny them all.

And just before the break, a great cut-back from the left by Fryers was somehow skied over the bar by Moore from 10 yards out. 


HALF TIME: Reds 0-0 Notts County


The second half was a completely different story as Stendel's side finally found their shooting boots.


And it was Woodrow who got the ball rolling, grabbing his first Reds goal when he latched onto McGeehan's deflected ball over the top and lashed home a terrific low volley in front of the Ponty End.


It was 2-0 just five minutes later as a free-flowing Reds move from back-to-front ended with McGeehan finding Potts wide right and his ball into the box was perfect for the arriving Fryers who tucked home beyond the goalkeeper.


Mamadou Thiam was denied by great 'keeping on the hour mark, with a rasping drive, before Stendel replaced Dimitri Cavaré and Woodrow with Mike Bähre and Jacob Brown. 


On 75 minutes another flowing move saw McGeehan play Moore in down the left, but his cut-back for Potts was a whisker too hard and he couldn't get a clean connection. 

But two minutes later the exact same move came off, with this time Potts getting to the ball ahead of the 'keeper to make it 3-0. 


Ryan Hedges saw action when he replaced Mowatt, and the Reds put the game to bed as Moore nodded home the fourth unmarked at the far post from Thiam's cross. 


FULL TIME: Reds 4-0 Notts County


Davies, Cavaré (Brown), Lindsay, Pinnock, Fryers, Potts, Mowatt (Hedges), McGeehan, Thiam, Moore, Woodrow (Bähre).

Unused: Greatorex, Jackson, Moncur, Pinillos.

Att: 5,878 (686 away)


Cauley scores

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account