Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1 - 1 Doncaster Rovers

24 November 2018

An instant impact from substitute Cauley Woodrow ensures honours end even in an enthralling South Yorkshire derby at Oakwell.

Having made four changes to his starting lineup, Daniel Stendel rotated his squad and was boosted by the return of skipper, Adam Davies, from international duty.  

Mike Bähre and Ryan Hedges also returned to the starting eleven, whilst Dani Pinillos replaced the suspended Zeki Fryers.  

The first half flattered to deceive as both sides battled continuously without forcing much out of either goalkeeper. 

Having started the game well, the best chance of the half fell to Rovers just eight minutes in. James Coppinger cut inside his man and curled an effort on to Adam Davies’ crossbar. 

The Reds had their best chances fall to Kieffer Moore, the first a header which went narrowly wide of Ian Lawlor’s left-hand post. Moore continued to press and in the final ten minutes of the first half was almost played through on goal by Bähre, but was denied following a superb last-ditch tackle by Niall Mason. 

With physicality playing a huge part of the opening forty-five, neither side could gain control of the game and it was goalless at the break. 

Half Time: Reds 0-0 Doncaster Rovers 

As the second half got underway the game burst in to life and a strong challenge on Alex Mowatt from Rovers midfielder Herbie Kane set the tone for the second. 

It took just seven minutes of the second half for the visitors to open the scoring. James Coppinger swung the ball in from the right-hand side after and the aforementioned Kane nodded home from close range. 

Daniel Stendel wasted little time in looking to his substitutes bench and the hour mark saw the introduction of both George Moncur and Cauley Woodrow, they replaced Cameron McGeehan and Dani Pinillos. 

And it was Woodrow who made an instant impact just two minutes after being brought on to the field. Doncaster made a mess of clearing a Bähre free kick allowing Dimitri Cavaré to help the ball back in to the box and give Woodrow the simple task of poking home from six yards out. 

The game began to stretch as both sides pushed for a winner, the Reds came closest when Kieffer Moore headed over at the far post following a Ryan Hedges corner. 

Rovers had chances to win the game but lacked the composure to find the back of the net. The first came when Alfie May skied an effort having been played clean through by John Marquis. 

However, it would be the last kick of the game that would see them go closest. It was roles reversed as goal scorer Kane squared the ball to Coppinger who’s goal bound effort was superbly stopped by Davies and as the ball was cleared up the pitch, the referee blew the full-time whistle. 

The Reds now make it seven games unbeaten and head in to Tuesday’s game against Sunderland with the chance to go second in Sky Bet League One. 

Full Time: Reds 1-1 Doncaster Rovers  


REDS: Davies (GK), Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Potts, Mowatt, McGeehan, Moore, Hedges, Bähre. 

Subs: Greatorex (GK), B.Williams, Moncur, Brown, Woodrow, Adeboyejo, Thiam. 


ROVERS: Lawlor (GK), Mason, Andrew, Butler, Whiteman, Marquis, Crawford, Kane, Blair, Coppinger, May. 

Subs: Marosi (GK), Wilks, Rowe, Beestin, Taylor, Anderson, Blaney.


Advertisement block