Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: York City 1-7 Barnsley

10 July 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: York City 1-7 Barnsley

10 July 2018

Daniel Stendel made it two wins from two in charge of Barnsley, as his side defeated Yorkshire rivals York City 7-1 at Bootham Crescent.

Continuing to tinker with his starting eleven, the Reds Head Coach fielded two different outfield teams in each half, on an evening when all four strikers scored.

With the game struggling to get going, it was the hosts who sparked it in to life in the 20th minute. Josh Law’s cross was cleared as far as Barnsley-born Jon Parkin, whose lofted ball was headed in from six yards by Jake Wright.  

Barnsley then began to threaten as Llyod Isgrove hit the bar, and Kieffer Moore played a through ball to Tom Bradshaw whose effort was well saved.

However, minutes later this same combination pulled Barnsley level. Moore received a throw-in inside the box and although York 'keeper Adam Bartlett saved his shot, Tom Bradshaw was on hand to tap in the rebound and put the Reds level.

Things got better for the Reds before the break as they scored two goals inside a minute. For the first, Bradshaw turned provider, as his well-hit cross was volleyed in at the far post by Brad Potts.   

Shortly after, Ryan Hedges caught the keeper out with a chip from the edge of the box, Bartlett parried the ball but straight into the path of Moore who hammered it in to make it 3-1 to Barnsley at the break.

 HALF TIME: York City 1-3 Barnsley

With Barnsley changing their entire outfield 10 for the second period, Daniel Stendel gave the travelling Reds fans a chance to see the majority of his squad.

Despite the changes, Stendel’s men were in complete control throughout the second half and started off strongly, scoring 10 minutes after the restart. A quick throw-in caused confusion in the Minstermen’s back line and George Moncur found Adeboyejo who passed the ball in to the goal.

As York made several changes, the game slowed down until the final 15 minutes. First, Mamadou Thiam’s corner was handballed by Hamaza Bencherrif and the referee awarded the Reds a penalty. Moncur stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to make it 5-1.

But the Reds weren’t done there, Moncur sprung a counter attack and when his pass found Thiam, the Senegalese cut inside his man and slotted the ball in to the bottom corner.

Barnsley saved the best till last as they tortured the York backline with tiki-taka style football, before Jared Bird’s cute flick found fellow youngster Dylan Mottley-Henry who completed the scoring.

With seven goals scored and all of Stendel's strikers on the scoresheet, there are plenty of positives for the new manager to take in to the next game against Salford.


FULL TIME: York City 1-7 Barnsley


First Half XI: Jack Walton, Jason McCarthy, Liam Lindsay, Adam Jackson, Zeki Fryers, Cameron McGeehan, Lloyd Isgrove, Ryan Hedges, Brad Potts, Tom Bradshaw, Kieffer Moore.


Second Half XI: Jack Walton, Dimitri Cavare, Ethan Pinnock, Ben Williams, Dani Pinillos, Jared Bird, Alex Mowatt, George Moncur, Dylan Mottley-Henry, Victor Adeboyejo, Mamadou Thiam.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account