Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1-1 Hull City

28 July 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 1-1 Hull City

28 July 2018

The Reds completed their preparations for the new season with a draw in today's friendly against Hull City.

In very windy conditions, the Reds dominated the game for large spells but were unable to score a second goal despite a handful of good opportunities created. 

Just as on Tuesday night, Barnsley set off like a house on fire, attacking the visitors at will, forcing corners which the Tigers defence were struggling to cope with. 

The match was only two minutes old when new signing, Kenny Dougall introduced himself to the Oakwell faithful in the perfect manner by grabbing a goal. 

A Ryan Hedges corner wasn't dealt with adequately enough by the Hull backline, the ball reached the edge of the box only for Adam Jackson to poke the ball towards Dougall who let fly from 20 yards with an effort that had too much power on it for City 'keeper David Marshall who didn't see it come through a wall of bodies. 

Kieffer Moore glanced a Mamadou Thiam cross just wide of Marshall's post soon afterwards before the visitors finally mustered up a threat of their own. 

Jarrod Bowen's corner found Daniel Batty in space at the far post and his shot was saved brilliantly low down at his near post by Adam Davies.

On 23 minutes the Reds were forced to make an early change when Hedges picked up a knock in a 50/50 challenge. Victor Adeboyejo replaced him out wide. 

Again the Reds came forward with Moore who latched onto a terrific Alex Mowatt through-ball but his vicious low shot, first time whistled beyond the post. 

On 27 minutes a substitution for Hull and a return to Oakwell for Angus MacDonald. The centre half replacing the injured Jordy De Wijs. 

Just five minutes later and the away side levelled the match. The impressive Bowen peeled off the Reds defenders, collected a great ball over the top and finished low inside the near post of Davies for 1-1.

HALF TIME: Reds 1-1 Hull

The flow of the game remained the same in the second period with Daniel Stendel's men on top and enjoying most of the possession, and within five minutes of the restart Mowatt found room 25 yards from goal and unleashed a superb effort that crashed against the Tigers' crossbar. 

On the hour mark came a raft of changes for both sides which affected the match somewhat. 

But the Reds still created the more clear-cut opportunities, particularly one on 70 minutes where good work from substitute Brad Potts and the lively Adeboyejo released Moore inside the box but the big man snatched at the chance, firing just over the bar. 

And with time running out, Moore once again did excellently to find himself on the end of a great Mowatt ball, in behind the defence, but he couldn't quite lift the ball over the advancing 'keeper. 

FULL TIME: Reds 1-1 Hull

Davies (GK), Cavaré, Jackson, Lindsay, Pinillos, Hedges (Adeboyejo / Isgrove), Mowatt, Dougall (McGeehan), Thiam (Moncur), Bradshaw (Potts), Moore.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account