Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-1 Charlton

Reds make it three from three in Sky Bet League One!

29 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-1 Charlton

Reds make it three from three in Sky Bet League One!

29 December 2018

It's the perfect way to end 2018 for the Reds as they edge out the Addicks at Oakwell.

First half strikes from Brad Potts and Mamadou Thiam gave the Reds a commanding lead in a game they had under control, but a second half fightback from the visitors threw the game into the balance with Ben Reeves' half-volley making things nervy for Barnsley who ultimately held on for a priceless three points. 

There was just one change for Daniel Stendel's side - Thiam started ahead of Kenny Dougall who dropped to the bench.

It was a dream start to the game as a flowing Reds move cut open the visitors to hand Barnsley a 1-0 lead. 

Superb football saw Mike Bähre pick up the ball in midfield, he jinked beyond two men, fed Cauley Woodrow on the right hand side whose cross into the box was delicately touched a yard back for the onrushing Brad Potts who hammered the ball into the corner of the net first-time. 

Ethan Pinnock was booked for a lunging tackle on the edge of his own box, but the resulting free-kick was cannoned against the wall by Lyle Taylor.

It was 2-0 on 14 minutes and again, it was a joy to watch the Reds in full flow. 

After a Charlton ball was gathered up by Adam Davies, the skipper threw it long for Potts to chase, he galloped up field before firing a low pass at speed into Thiam's direction, the Senegalese took the ball in his step, cut inside and struck a fierce effort into the top corner from the edge of the box left of centre. 

Thiam nearly added another from the same range soon afterwards, but his shot on this occasion was an inch too high. 

Bähre then volleyed at the near post from a Thiam cross, but Addicks 'keeper Jed Steer tipped it round the post for a corner. 

It had been breathtaking from Stendel's side who led 2-0 at the break.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 2-0 Charlton

There was an early booking after the interval when Dimitri Cavaré was punished for a clumsy challenge in the centre circle, but it was the Reds still in charge at this point. 

Bähre probably should have added a third when he went through one-one-one with Steer, but the 'keeper got a touch to the shot that was then redirected towards Bähre for a second bite of the cherry, but his nodded header dropped a yard wide in the end.

Potts then sprinted into the box and instead of squaring for Bähre, he went alone but he blazed his shot over from just inside the box. 

There were a couple of bookings for Chris Solly and Jason Pearce as the away side battled against the Red tide.

The outstanding Bähre was replaced on 70 minutes to a standing ovation with Jacob Brown coming on for the last 20 minutes. 

The referee's influence became prevalent from then on, with a number of Reds players cautioned for innocuous challenges. Dani Pinillos being the main one, in what seemed a 50/50 tackle on the edge of the box. 

From that free-kick, sub Tariq Fosu's strike came back off the wall for Reeves to fire in on the half volley giving Davies no chance, and reducing the deficit. 

Woodrow was booked during that sequence, apparently for questioning the yardage of the Reds wall. 

Dougall and Ryan Hedges came on for Potts and Thiam with around 10 minutes to play, and it was now backs-to-the-wall for Barnsley. 

But despite a plethora of long balls, the Reds survived, and in fact the last action of the match saw Solly booked for a second time and receive his marching orders. 

Three wins from three in the festive period, Stendel's Reds can enter 2019 in great spirits.

FULL TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Charlton

Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Thiam (Hedges), Potts (Dougall), Mowatt, McGeehan, Woodrow, Bähre (Brown).

Att: 11,978 (564 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account