Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Blackpool 0-1 Barnsley

A superb victory at the seaside

22 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Blackpool 0-1 Barnsley

A superb victory at the seaside

22 December 2018

Cameron McGeehan's second half goal means it's a victory for the Reds on the road to celebrate Christmas with!

That McGeehan strike saw the Reds back to winning ways, and back into the top six in Sky Bet League One.

Daniel Stendel had brought Mamadou Thiam and Liam Lindsay back into the starting lineup, with Kenny Dougall included on the bench for the first time following his injury layoff. 

In a somewhat scrappy but competitive first half, chances were at a premium. Indeed, it took until the 27th minute for the first real opportunity. 

Great work by Thiam out wide saw the ball moved perfectly into the path of Cauley Woodrow, who stabbed the ball goalwards from eight yards out only to see a slight deflection take it an inch wide of goal. 

The hosts hit back when ex-Red John O'Sullivan was denied by the feet of Adam Davies from six yards out after good work by the lively Jordan Thompson.

Brad Potts was influential on his return to the seaside club, and his superb low cross was met tamely by Thiam first time, saved easily by Blackpool 'keeper Mark Howard.

Another big chance was spurned seven minutes before the break when Thiam's raking cross was perfect for Kieffer Moore arriving at the far post, but the big man's header was straight at Howard with the goal gaping.

HALF TIME: Blackpool 0-0 Barnsley

Loanee centre half Paudie O'Connor replaced Tangerines skipper Curtis Tilt at half time, and the Reds would dominate the rest of the game, but only after an early scare. 

Thompson's inswinging corner was met firmly by Ben Heneghan in the air, but Cameron McGeehan was there to clear off the line. 

On 49 minutes,  O'Connor slipped up, allowing Potts to break forward and surge towards goal, he took aim from the edge of the box but his effort whistled a yard wide of the far post.

But on the hour mark, Barnsley did make one count at last, and it was a smashing move to watch. 

A header clear by Cavaré in his own box, he chased after it himself, played Potts down the right whose low cross seemed to take a nick off either a defender or the challenging Moore near post and dropped invitingly for the onrushing McGeehan at the far stick whose header from close range flew into the net beyond Howard to spark joyous scenes in the packed out away end holding 1,508 Reds supporters.

Woodrow bent an audacious effort inches wide on 70 minutes as Stendel's side continued to force the issue.

There were bookings for Liam Lindsay and Alex Mowatt, whilst Mike Bähre, Victor Adeboyejo and the aforementioned Dougall all came on as late substitutes as Barnsley saw out the victory with comfort.

FULL TIME: Blackpool 0-1 Barnsley

Davies, Cavaré, Pinnock, Lindsay, Pinillos, Potts, McGeehan, Mowatt (Dougall), Thiam (Bähre), Moore, Woodrow (Adeboyejo).

Unused: Greatorex, Jackson, Moncur, Brown.

Att: 4,054 (1,508 Reds - superb support)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account