Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Barnsley

28 October 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Barnsley

28 October 2017

The Reds fight back to grab a deserved point at Hillsborough.

Barnsley take a point back up the road to Oakwell thanks to a Harvey Barnes stunner!

His 20 yard curling effort found the top corner after 68 minutes to send the travelling Red Army into raptures, cancelling out Wednesday's lucky first half opener from Adam Reach.


Paul Heckingbottom had made three changes to his starting lineup, with captain, Angus MacDonald replacing the injured Adam Jackson; Mamadou Thiam made his first start in place of Ike Ugbo and there was a long-awaited return for Andy Yiadom who  came in for Zeki Fryers.


The game started off in a very slow and quiet manner, very unlike a Yorkshire Derby, but once or twice inside the first 10 minutes it was difficult to see how Wednesday hadn't scored, with a succession of corners creating numerous near-misses with the Reds backline hanging on for dear life. 

It wasn't until 26 minutes in that Barnsley forced the home 'keeper into a save. A fine run and shot by Cameron McGeehan was heading for the bottom corner until Keiran Westwood tipped it round the post.

The hosts soon responded, Keiran Lee rattling the Barnsley crossbar from 30 yards out. 

The Reds had a couple of flowing moves on the counter attack with Adam Hammill first shooting straight at the 'keeper and then seeing another shot blocked inside the box after a marauding Jason McCarthy run and cross. 

But then a massive slice of luck for the Owls..

Reach found himself with a bit of room on the edge of the box, went to hit the shot with his left foot, only to connect with his right foot and see his effort somehow spoon up and beyond Adam Davies. It was a horrendous fluke, but the hosts had the lead. 

Both Hammill and Owls defender Joost Van Aken were booked in the closing stages of the first half. 

HALF TIME: Wednesday 1-0 Reds

Hecky made a substitution at the interval with Thiam replaced by Brad Potts which signalled a change of shape. 

McGeehan soon saw a shot deflect up and over the crossbar, before Daniel Pudil saw a volley flash just wide at the other end as the intensity of the game increased at last. 

The Reds nearly went two behind but Barry Bannan's chip towards the goal was amazingly headed off the line by the fast-thinking Yiadom. 

Barnsley responded quickly and Harvey Barnes sprinted beyond the Wednesday defence before seeing his shot from an acute angle come back off the underside of the hosts' bar. 

On 66 minutes came three changes. The Reds swapped Hammill and McGeehan for Isgrove and George Moncur. And the Owls brought on former Reds midfielder Jacob Butterfield for the injured Pudil.

And then we were level..

Barnes was found out wide by Yiadom, the on-loan Leicester winger jinked towards the box and from 20 yards out he let fly with a curling effort that was never destined for anywhere but the top right-hand corner, giving Westwood no chance and sending the Reds supporters wild at the other end of the ground, which is where Barnes and his teammates raced towards to celebrate the equaliser!

Jordan Rhodes replaced Steven Fletcher on 74 minutes as the home side looked to get back on the front foot, and just a minute later a superb cross by Jack Hunt out wide was met brilliantly by Gary Hooper inside the six yard box but point blank he was thwarted by Davies who held it well. 

The game was end-to-end for the final 10 minutes with both sides looking for a winner but it wasn't to be and the Derby Day spoils were shared. 

FULL TIME: Wednesday 1-1 Reds

Davies; McCarthy, MacDonald, Lindsay, Yiadom; Hammill (Isgrove '66), Williams, McGeehan (Moncur '66), Barnes; Thiam (Potts '45), Bradshaw.

Unused: Walton, Pearson, Ugbo, Hedges.

Att: 27,097.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account