Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Norwich City 1-1 Barnsley

18 November 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Norwich City 1-1 Barnsley

18 November 2017

Harvey Barnes is at it again as his second half equaliser sends the Reds back up north with a point.

Barnsley extended their unbeaten run to four matches after holding Norwich City to a 1-1 draw at Carrow Road.

In a first half of few chances, Josh Murphy’s deflected effort wrong footed Adam Davies to give the Canaries the lead, with Adam Hammill twice bringing good saves out of Angus Gunn in reply.

Harvey Barnes continued his fine form in front of goal, sliding in two minutes after the break following an excellent break from the visitors.

Adam Hammill’s volley from an angle and Andy Yiadom’s speculative drive both forced Gunn into action as the half went on, but neither side could force the issue as they were forced to settled for a draw.

October’s Player of the Month, Harvey Barnes, fired over following a quick corner routine that threatened to catch the hosts cold in the early stages.

It was Daniel Farke’s side that broke the deadlock after 12 minutes with their first meaningful attack as Josh Murphy took aim from the edge of the area and his shot found the back of the net via a hefty deflection.

With chances at a premium for both sides, a Nelson Oliveira snap shot after good work from James Maddison threatened to double the hosts’ lead, but Adam Davies watched his effort well wide.

A swift break from the Reds followed after the stopper had denied Murphy in a footrace, with Adam Hammill’s solo charge culminating in a rasping drive that forced a stunning one-handed save from Angus Gunn.

The Reds continued to press for an equaliser with Hammill dancing his way into the area and producing a fine left-footed effort which Gunn parried, with Tom Bradshaw unable to capitalise on the rebound.

Barnsley continued to push as Barnes went close again, jinking in from the left and flashing just wide of the top right corner with Gunn rooted to the spot.

By comparison, the Canaries for all their threatening runs, could not force their way past the Reds defence, but went in ahead at the interval.

HALF TIME: Norwich City 1-0 Barnsley

Paul Heckingbottom’s Reds came out fired up after the interval and they fired themselves level with a move of sheer brilliance.

Joe Williams started the move inside his own half and after three quick passes down the right, George Moncur skipped clear. He unselfishly squared for Leicester loanee Barnes, who calmly slotted past Gunn from eight yards.

That effort stirred the Canaries and they came close to retaking the lead, Oliveira shrugging off the challenges and rifling just over the top from 25 yards.

An ambitious drive from Andy Yiadom from fully 30 yards almost had the Barnsley fans on their feet once again on the hour, sweetly striking a loose ball only for Gunn to pluck it out of the air, with the shot destined for the top corner.

George Moncur almost won it late on with a fizzing ball into the area that drifted just wide of the far post, with another Barnes shot forcing Gunn into action late on.

The result means the Reds have only lost one of their last eight matches in all competitions.

FULL TIME: Norwich City 1-1 Barnsley

Attendance: 25,545 (696 Reds)


Norwich City: Gunn (GK), Ivo Pinto (c), Klose, Hanley, Husband (Zimmermann, 46’ ), Trybull (Wildschut, 81’ ), Stiepermann, Vrancic, Maddison, Murphy (Watkins, 75’ ), Oliveira.

Subs: McGovern (GK), Reed, Jerome, Hoolahan.


Barnsley: Davies (GK), Yiadom, MacDonald (c) (McCarthy, 57’ ), Lindsay, Fryers, J. Williams, Potts, Moncur, Hammill (Hedges, 67’ ), Bradshaw, Barnes.

Subs: Walton (GK), McGeehan, Ugbo, Gardner, Thiam.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account