Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Guiseley 3-3 Barnsley

11 July 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Guiseley 3-3 Barnsley

11 July 2017

The Reds kicked off their pre-season friendlies with an action-packed draw at Nethermoor.

Head Coach Paul Heckingbottom gave 21 of his players much-needed minutes on the grass in West Yorkshire this evening as the Reds had to settle for a draw with National League outfit Guiseley. 

Ghanaian international Andy Yiadom captained Barnsley and he and Lloyd Isgrove worked well in tandem during the early stages down the Reds right-hand side, Isgrove as hard-working and tireless as ever, putting the hosts defence under considerable pressure. 

On the opposite side, Hecky's men were having similar joy with Ryan Hedges and Zeki Fryers linking nicely, the former seeing a shot well saved after just five minutes played after being played in behind by the quick-thinking Alex Mowatt. 

With their hosts struggling to find any rhythm, Barnsley took the initative. Again it was Isgrove the tormentor. He beat his full-back inside and out before seeing his fierce drive deflected up and beyond the 'keeper to give the Reds the lead. 

It could have been 2-0 straight from the restart. After Sessi D'Almeida intercepted a pass in midfield, Yiadom slid the ball forward for Tom Bradshaw who found himself with space enough to get off a powerful low shot, but the home 'keeper got down well to tip the shot around the post for a corner. 

As the game wore on, Guiseley came into it a little. A couple of near-misses in defence, where Adam Jackson and Fryers did well with last-ditch tackles seemed to give the Lions some belief. And the deserved equaliser arrived just after the half-hour mark. 

A headed clearance dropped kindly for A.Trialist whose powerful half-volley was probably just off target but for a kind deflection that took it in and past young Reds 'keeper, Jack Walton. 1-1. 

There was then more hesitancy in defence, with Jackson's back-pass selling Walton short, and A.Trialist rounded the grounded 'keeper before slotting into the empty Reds net, to give Guiseley a 2-1 lead at the half-time break. 


Despite a second-half containing numerous changes in personnel as both sides looked to give players valuable match practice ahead of their respective new seasons, the entertainment on offer was of decent quality. 

This was illustrated massively when Fryers ran onto a loose, bouncing ball and leathered it into the top right-hand corner from all of 30 yards out, on the half-volley. It was a special hit for the recent addition to Hecky's squad and levelled us up at 2-2 with half an hour to play. 

The hosts had former Reds striker Kayode Odejayi up front in the second half and his physicality gave the Reds players a tough time, particularly in the 73rd minute when his powerful header was sent crashing against the bar, only to be tapped with his heel into the empty net by Reece Thompson on the rebound. Guiseley were ahead once more!

But the Reds quality shone through in the latter stages, and an impressive George Moncur saw a 25-yard rocket find the far left corner of the Lions net after he'd worked some space in typically tidy fashion. 

It was an eventful and valuable first outing for Hecky's men and entertaining fare for the healthy crowd in attendance at Nethermoor. 


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account