Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18s | REPORT: Nottingham Forest 3-0 Barnsley

14 January 2017

Match Reports

U18s | REPORT: Nottingham Forest 3-0 Barnsley

14 January 2017

High-flying Forest condemn Reds to only their second away defeat of the season.

Barnsley Under 18s suffered a 3-0 defeat away at high-flying Nottingham Forest Under 18s.

The Reds had the better of the first half going close through Louis Rowe inside the opening minute and Tom Clare zipped an effort just past the post shortly after.

Forest took the lead just past the half hour as Sham Bertie brought down Arvin Appiah and Kyle McLean slotted home from the spot.

Jake Greatorex made three strong saves to keep the Reds in the contest but was beaten again shortly past the hour when Jake Taylor fired home a through ball and bagged a third six minutes later through Brennan Johnson.

Philroy Peters and Adam Lund both came close to grabbing a consolation late on but failed to break through the Nottingham Forest defence as the Reds slipped to only their second defeat on the road this season. 

The Reds enjoyed an excellent first half with Rowe firing over early on, with Kyle McLean firing a tame shot straight at Jake Greatorex in reply.

Smart play from Sam Tingle allowed him to slip in Tom Clare, who lashed across goal, just beyond Rowe’s reach as a touch would have been enough to put the Reds ahead.

Two minutes later, Rowe shrugged off four challenges but was blocked off as he shaped to shoot before Brennan Johnson and Arvin Appiah brought two good saves out of Greatorex.

Shortly afterwards, the Reds conceded a penalty as Appiah cut inside from the right and went down under the challenge of Sham Bertie.

McLean stepped up from the spot and sent Greatorex the wrong way to open the scoring, but Robbie Miller almost pulled Barnsley level immediately with a blistering 25-yard effort.

HALF TIME: Nottingham Forest 1-0 Barnsley.

Forest’s Riley Harbottle could have doubled their lead three minutes into the second half but headed a corner over the bar while Greatorex was forced to make two more great saves, including a flying save to deny Johnson.

Moments after that save, Forest had their second as Jake Taylor calmly slotted home a through ball while McLean should have made it 3-0, but Greatorex was there to deny him again from close range.

A quick free kick shortly after caught the Reds cold as Johnson fired home the decisive goal that put the game out of Barnsley’s reach.

Peters made an amazing block to stop Luke McCormick adding to Forest’s tally shortly after, with Adam Lund’s volley three minutes from time the best effort the Reds could muster as they looked for a consolation.

Reds: Greatorex (GK), Alderton, Smith (Yate, 66’ ), Peters, Bertie, Lund (c), Tingle, Miller, Clare, Rowe (Sandu, 89’ ), Simpson (D. Greenfield, 78’ ).

Subs: B. Greenfield (GK).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account