Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/01/2017

28 January 2017

Match Reports

Match Report : 28/01/2017

28 January 2017

Adam Armstrong's second half strike moves the Reds to within a point of the play-off places!

Barnsley moved to within a point of the play-off places with a 1-0 victory over Rotherham United in this afternoon’s South Yorkshire derby.

In a first half of few chances, both Adam Armstrong and Joe Mattock struck the woodwork for their respective sides with the hosts arguably the stronger of the two sides.

Only a flying save from Adam Davies kept the game goalless as he sprung away to deny Danny Ward’s curling effort before the Reds broke the deadlock 20 minutes from time.

Ryan Kent’s excellent vision picked out Adam Armstrong, who raced clear of Richard Wood before calmly slotting underneath Richard O’Donnell.

The Reds came under a spell of pressure towards the end of the game, but held firm for their second Yorkshire derby success in a week.

The hosts made a strong start to the game and but for a fine block from Angus MacDonald, Jon Taylor would have opened the scoring for the Millers.

Ryan Kent came close after cutting inside from the left and firing just over the crossbar but it was Rotherham who looked the better early on.

Aidy White almost broke the deadlock against his former side, drilling Marley Watkins’ lay-off just wide of the mark just past the quarter hour mark.

Despite being cut down on the wing following a great run, Kent was cautioned after reacting to a challenge from Darnell Fisher but the resulting free kick came to nothing.

The best chance of the half for the Reds came just before the half hour when Adam Armstrong got clear of his markers and chipped toward goal.

Richard O’Donnell watched the ball sail over his head, but agonizingly for the striker, it brushed the top of the crossbar on its way out of play.

With nine minutes to go until the break, Joe Mattock let fly from the edge of the area and with Adam Davies scrambling to get there, the ball clipped the outside of the post and drifted out of play.

Marc Roberts let fly from the edge of the area in stoppage time but his shot deflected just over the top of the crossbar as the half drew to a close with both sides goalless.

HALF TIME: Rotherham United 0-0 Barnsley.

Jerry Yates attempted a spectacular effort from just outside the area with the second half only two minutes old but failed to get anywhere near the target.

Danny Ward clipped an effort towards the top corner seven minutes later but a flying save from Davies kept him at bay before the Reds cleared the corner.

Callum Evans was introduced for his Reds debut on the hour in place of Aidy White while Rotherham continued to press for the opener with Yates’ header bringing a good save out of Davies.

Despite having to turn away wave after wave of Rotherham attacks, the Reds made the breakthrough 20 minutes from time.

Matty James exchanged passes with Ryan Kent on the right, before the latter slid a brilliant ball through to Adam Armstrong, who showed all of his composure to slot underneath O’Donnell to open the scoring.

Only a stunning save from O’Donnell prevented Marley Watkins doubling the lead from a tight angle as he blasted the ball toward the roof of the net, but a fingertip save from the stopper denied him.

Rotherham continued to apply pressure in the final stages but failed to find a way past a stubborn Reds defence, hanging on to leave them with a run of only one defeat in seven Championship games. 

Full Time: Rotherham 0-1 Barnsley

Attendance: 11,050 (2,601 away).

Rotherham United: O’Donnell, Fisher (Allan, 77’ ), Belaid (Kelly, 25’ ), Wood, Mattock, Forde (Bray, 86’ ), Smallwood, Vaulks, Taylor, Yates, Ward.

Subs: Bilboe (GK), Blackstock, Adeyemi, Warren.

Barnsley: Davies (GK), Jones, MacDonald, Roberts (c), White (Evans, 60’ ), Watkins, Scowen, James, Kent (Hammill, 86’ ), Bradshaw, Armstrong (Williams, 81’ ).

Subs: Townsend (GK), Moncur, Jackson, Payne.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account