Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/01/2017

17 January 2017

Match Reports

Match Report : 17/01/2017

17 January 2017

Last-minute Bright Osayi-Samuel strike breaks Reds hearts as Blackpool progress into the FA Cup fourth round.

Blackpool advanced into the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup courtesy of a last-minute Bright Osayi-Samuel goal, that saw them beat Barnsley 2-1 at Oakwell.

With the game seemingly heading for penalties, the Reds failed to clear and Osayi-Samuel pounced to slot past the despairing dive of Adam Davies.

A tepid first half took until the quarter hour mark to kick into life Danny Pugh volleyed straight at Adam Davies and Adam Hammill bent a delicious effort inches wide of the post.

The visitors took the lead somewhat against the run of play on the half hour mark as Kelvin Mellor volleyed home, but Josh Scowen and Adam Armstrong both came close in reply for the Reds.

Angus MacDonald levelled the scores four minutes into the second half with his first Reds goal of the season with Conor Hourihane going close to putting the Reds ahead soon after.

Tom Bradshaw almost won it with two minutes remaining only for Slocombe to gather his header, forcing both sides to go into extra time.

James Bree nearly snatched victory with a header from Adam Hammill’s cross-field pass while Osayi-Samuel drew an excellent save from Davies at the end of the first period of extra time, before making amends with the winner in the final minute.

A quiet opening from both sides was eventually brought to the boil 15 minutes in when Danny Pugh’s volley from the edge of the area drifted harmlessly through to Adam Davies.

The Reds were excellent in possession in reply and Adam Hammill crossed excellently for Adam Armstrong. He failed to get a clean connection and as the ball span toward Tom Bradshaw, the Tangerines scrambled it clear.

Another Hammill cross proved just too deep for Ryan Kent who was lurking dangerously, before the Reds number seven sent a curling effort flying towards the top corner.

Despite Slocombe looking beaten, the ball drifted just wide of the upright but moments later, Marc Roberts hobbled off for the Reds with a suspected hamstring problem, Adam Jackson came on in his place.

Shortly after his introduction, the visitors took the lead when Jackson and Angus MacDonald jumped for the same ball and when it came down, Kelvin Mellor was on hand to volley past the despairing dive of Davies.

Hammill and Josh Scowen both set about levelling the scores, driving at the heart of the Blackpool defence, only for Hammill to be stopped in his tracks and Scowen to fire wide from distance.

With three minutes until the interval, Conor Hourihane sent an effort curling towards the roof of the net only for Slocombe to again deny him.

Pugh fired the final chance of the half wide following excellent work from Blackpool substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel down the right while Scowen was cautioned in stoppage time for a foul on the Blackpool replacement.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 0-1 Blackpool 

The visitors introduced Danny Philliskirk at the break in place of Andy Taylor and reverted to a 4-4-2 system, but the Reds were quick to capitalise on the system change.

A lively start to the half from the Reds earned them a corner which Hourihane whipped into the near post and Angus MacDonald glanced home, despite the best efforts of Slocombe to keep it out.

The goal swung the momentum firmly in Barnsley’s favour as Hourihane created room on the edge of the area and fired at goal, with Slocombe again equal to his effort.

Shortly after the hour, another Hourihane delivery was glanced on by Adam Armstrong with Slocombe just tipping the effort away.

Hourihane had re-discovered his touch, slipping in Scowen who fired wide of the target from close range while Adam Jackson headed just wide from a Hammill corner soon after.

Philliskirk tried his luck with just over 15 minutes remaining but a great block from MacDonald stopped his effort reaching goal before Will Aimson almost out through his own net with a misplaced header.

Tom Bradshaw almost won it for the Reds with two minutes remaining, rising to meet White’s cross but failing to beat the Blackpool ‘keeper, meaning extra time for both sides.

FULL TIME: Barnsley 1-1 Blackpool

The first period of extra-time was a fairly uneventful affair until James Bree connected with Hammill’s cross but failed to head past Slocombe.

Osayi-Samuel continued to cause problems and with time almost slotted home a winner for the Tangerines at the end of the first half of extra time, but Davies again denied him.

With ten minutes remaining in the match, Ryan Williams tried his luck but was denied by a strong save from Slocombe. The loose ball fell the way of Marley Watkins, only for his effort to be cleared off the line.

Hammill almost won it with five minutes to play, latching onto White’s clever pass but lifting the ball over while Robertson let rip a vicious shot that stung the palms of Davies.

With the game seemingly destined for penalties, Osayi-Samuel took matters into his own hands, firing past Davies to break the Reds’ hearts and set up a fourth round tie with Blackburn Rovers.

FULL TIME AET: Barnsley 1-2 Blackpool

Reds: Davies (GK), Bree, Roberts (Jackson, 29’ ), MacDonald, White, Kent (Williams, 75’ ), Hourihane, Scowen, Hammill, Bradshaw, Armstrong (Watkins, 75’ ).

Subs: Townsend (GK), Moncur, Evans, Payne.

Blackpool: Slocombe (GK), Mellor, Aimson, Robertson, Aldred, Taylor (Philliskirk, 46’ ), McAlister, Pugh (c), Payne (Yeates, 62’ ), Vassell (Osayi-Samuel, 41’ ), Cullen.

Subs: Lyness (GK), Matt, Gnanduillet, Des Pres.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account