Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Barnsley 2-1 Nottingham Forest

15 August 2017

The Reds earn their first three points of the 2017/18 season!

In another thriller under the Oakwell lights, Barnsley finally picked up a victory their efforts deserved thanks to a second half Ryan Hedges winner.

Paul Heckingbottom's men had taken a deserved first half lead through Matty Pearson only for the visitors to hit back through Darryl Murphy to leave the game level at the break.

But up stepped Hedges to once again send the Reds faithful home happy with another Tuesday night winner in front of a raucous Ponty End!


Hecky told the media midweek that he was happy with the Ipswich performance, but not the result. And so he went with an unchanged squad for the game. 

And the Reds started on the front foot in this one, with Tom Bradshaw looking lively linking with George Moncur and Ryan Hedges. 

The Reds struck early...

Moncur's ball was dangerous, Matty Pearson looped a header towards goal and it crept over the line with Bradshaw lurking regardless. 

It was incessant Reds pressure for the next 20 minutes, chances created but none were taken to increase the Barnsley lead. 

Bradshaw fired a header just over; Hammill bent an effort just wide, as did Moncur, before the latter then saw Forest 'keeper Jordan Smith save a drive with his legs. 

But the visitors broke Barnsley hearts..

Barry McKay curled in a delightful cross from the right on a rare forage forward, and Murphy powered home his header from six yards arriving at the far post unmarked.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 1-1 Forest

Hecky's men scored early in the second half too...

Some neat interplay by Brad Potts and Moncur in midfield saw the ball shift into the path of Hedges, and the Welsh wizard skinned his man on the outside, and from the angle slightly, left of centre just inside the box he lashed home an unstoppable drive into Smith's bottom left-hand corner.

Forest had a few chances to level the game back up, most notably when Tendayi Darikwa fired straight at Adam Davies unmarked, and the same Forest player was again thwarted by the Reds 'keeper in the 90th minute, an unbeliavable save by Davies diving to his right to claw the shot out.

A huge roar let out as the full time whistle was blown. 

FULL TIME: Barnsley 2-1 Forest

Reds XI: Davies (GK); McCarthy, MacDonald (C), Jackson, Pearson; J.Williams (booked 87'), Moncur (Bird 66'); Hedges, Potts (booked 81'), Hammill (Barnes 90'); Bradshaw.

Attendance: 13,883 (2,903 away fans).

Advertisement block