Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23s | Reds 0-1 Hull: Match Report

2 September 2016

Match Reports

U23s | Reds 0-1 Hull: Match Report

2 September 2016

A single goal defeats the Reds at Oakwell.

Barnsley Under 23s remain without a win this season after being narrowly edged out by Hull City Under23s at Oakwell.

The Reds were unfortunate not to take their chances and were punished when Will Annan slotted home two minutes into the second half.

Josh Kay struck the bar for Barnsley while Omari Patrick fired two opportunities just over the crossbar in a scoreless first half.

Dylan Mottley-Henry rattled the post with a powerful drive from distance midway through the second half and Jacob Brown found the side netting with a volley from a tough angle.

Jack Walton’s superb penalty save from Jarrod Bowen prevented Hull making it 2-0 and he had to be alert again in stoppage time to tip Dan Batty’s swerving effort onto the crossbar. 
The first clear sight of goal came on seven minutes when Omari Patrick raced into the area after seizing on a stray pass from Josh Tymon, only to fire straight at Johnny Saltmer in the Hull goal.

Hull responded almost immediately when Greg Olley drew a good save out of Jack Walton from close range after being left alone in the area.

A good move, beginning inside their own half, involving Elliot Kebbie, Omari Patrick and Jacob Brown saw the latter’s effort blocked as he fired at goal from a tight angle.

The quarter hour mark saw the Reds come the closest of either side to breaking the deadlock.

Josh Kay’s piledriver from the edge of the area flew back into play off the crossbar and Patrick recovered the loose ball well, rounding Harvey Rodgers but firing just over the top.

Jarrod Bowen’s teasing low cross into the area was fired just over by Will Annan on 20 minutes after a good break from the Tigers while Patrick headed Dylan Mottley-Henry’s delivery inches over the crossbar seconds later.

Jonathan Edwards’ looping header failed to test Walton and Kebbie could not release an effort on target after good work from Mottley-Henry and Brad Ash.

Ellis Barkworth was booked six minutes before the break when he tripped Mottley-Henry, who was racing through on goal and Robbie McKenzie followed him into the book on the stroke of half time for a trip on Brown.

The visitors drew first blood two minutes into the second half as a fluid move saw Bowen slip in Annan and he calmly slotted home.

Mottley-Henry was unfortunate not to draw the Reds level in spectacular fashion when his 25-yard left-footed drive cannoned back off the upright and away from the stranded Saltmer.

Brown saw an appeal for a penalty waved away by the referee after he fell in the area under the challenge of Rodgers while Dan Batty lifted the ball over the crossbar on the hour. 

Edwards received a caution for hauling back Jared Bird as he attempted to break away and Brown could only find the side netting from a narrow angle on 65 minutes, volleying Mottley-Henry’s cross off target.

The Tigers had the chance double their advantage six minutes later when Bowen was upended in the area by Kebbie, but Walton got down superbly to deny Bowen low to his left.

Chris Howarth sent on Kane Swinburn in search of an equaliser but the Reds remained under pressure as Bowen drew another good save from Walton 10 minutes from time.

The Reds were unable to force and equaliser in the dying moments and could have fallen further behind in stoppage time had Walton not turned Batty’s rasping drive onto the crossbar. 

Academy Coach Chris Howarth gave his thoughts on the performance after the match.

"In the first half we were excellent, I can't fault the lads at all for effort. We created so many chances and could have been three or four up by half-time.

"Dylan (Mottley-Henry) caused all sorts of problems he was excellent all game. I can't fault any of the lads for their performance we just need to be ruthless in front of goal. Then there is a bit of luck, Browny (Jacob Brown) was tripped clearly as he's about to tap home and it's not given. That would have changed the game.

"They've done everything I have asked them to do this week, so if we carry on like that the goals will come."

Reds: Walton, Kebbie, Cowgill, Proctor, Templeton, Mottley-Henry, Bird, Kay (Ottley, 83’ ), Patrick, Brown, Ash (Swinburn, 74’ ).

Subs: Murphy, Dolan, Lund, Crawford.

Hull City: Saltmer, Clackstone, Tymon, Batty, Barkworth, Rodgers, Annan, McKenzie (Lofts, 78’ ), Edwards (Hinchliffe, 89’ ), Olley, Bowen.

Subs: Crowdson, Ter Horst, Maslen-Jones.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account