Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U23s | Barnsley 0-3 Huddersfield Town

21 October 2016

Reds Under 23s beaten by Huddersfield Town in Yorkshire derby.

Barnsley Under 23s were unable to make it three wins in a row as Huddersfield Town beat them 3-0 in the Yorkshire derby.

Josh Kay and Jake Charles both missed the target in a first half largely dominated by the visitors before Rekeil Pyke finished off a flowing move eight minutes before the break.

Pyke doubled his tally early in the second half before Dylan Mottley-Henry and Brandon McCarthy both came close to pulling a goal back.

The Terriers wrapped up victory eight minutes from time as Jack Boyle slotted home a quick counter attack, ending the Reds’ recent upturn in fortunes.

Paul Harlsey’s side were missing key players for the visit of the Terriers and the away side almost made them pay in the opening quarter of an hour.

Jordan Williams and Jack Boyle both had efforts saved by Tim Brown in a matter of moments as Frankie Bunn’s side tried to make the early breakthrough.

Former Huddersfield player Jake Charles almost found the net in style against his former club, breaking clear down the left and firing dangerously into the centre, with his effort almost catching out Joel Coleman at his near post.

Josh Kay fired just wide from the edge of the area after a smart move down the right, while Rekeil Pyke headed Boyle’s delivery wide of the target.

Luca Colville was next to test Brown in the Reds goal, cutting inside from the left but finding the Reds stopper in fine form to keep him out.

The visitors made the breakthrough just before the break as a cross-field ball caught the Barnsley defence unawares, Alex O’Hanlon centered on the volley allowing Pyke to steer home.

And had it have not been for a fine save from Brown to deny Boyle from a free kick, the hosts would have been further behind at the break.

HT - Barnsley U23s 0-1 Huddersfield Town U23s

Seven minutes after the restart, Huddersfield doubled their lead as Boyle centred for Pyke to head home from close range, with the ball flying just out of the reach of Brown.

A strong drive down the middle from Rhys Dolan saw him hacked down by Regan Booty, giving Kay a chance to test Coleman from just outside the area.

Kay stepped up but fired his effort over the Huddersfield goalkeeper’s crossbar and Boyle was denied on the hour as the Terriers went in search of a third goal.

That chance kicked the Reds into gear as Mottley-Henry raced onto Romal Palmer’s chipped pass but Coleman smothered the ball before he could fire a shot on target.

That was quickly followed by an effort from Brandon McCarthy that tested Coleman and Mottley-Henry again went close, with Coleman tipping his low drive away to safety.

Pyke found the side netting as the half wore on but Boyle put the result beyond all doubt, finishing off a fine flowing move.

There was almost enough time for the hosts to grab a consolation as Mottley-Henry expertly controlled Julio Rodriguez’s chipped through ball but was unable to find a way past Coleman.

Reds: T. Brown (GK), Kebbie, Cowgill, Rodriguez, Dolan, Mottley-Henry, Kay, Proctor, Charles (Saeed, 76’ ), Palmer (Clare, 80’ ), McCarthy.

Subs: Murphy (GK), Ottley, Smith.

Huddersfield Town: Coleman (GK), Williams, Kane, Hanson, O’Hanlon, Booty, Billing (Horsfall, 76’ ), Boyle, Colville, Pyke, Warde.

Subs: Tear, Ryan, Scott, Cogill.

Advertisement block