Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18s | Barnsley 2-2 Colchester United

22 October 2016

Match Reports

U18s | Barnsley 2-2 Colchester United

22 October 2016

Jeff McGowan rescues a point for the Reds against Colchester United!

A fantastic effort from Jeff McGowan rescued a point for Barnsley Under-18s in a pulsating 2-2 draw with Colchester United Under-18s.

The Reds dominated the first half, going close through two Adam Lund headers, one of which superbly tipped onto the crossbar, and Tom Clare's vicious strike.

Within 90 seconds of the second half getting underway, Louis Wardle was chopped down in the area and stepped up to fire home the resulting penalty, giving the Reds the lead.

Two Colchester goals in four minutes turned the game on its head but Matty Wolfe slid in McGowan, who smashed home the equaliser 12 minutes from time.

The Reds could have won it soon after with McGowan and Clare both going close to a winner but the Reds had to settle for a point, stretching their unbeaten run to five games.

Chris Howarth’s side made a fast start and could have taken the lead seven minutes in as Adam Lund’s goalward header was tipped sublimely onto the crossbar and behind by the Colchester goalkeeper.

From the resulting corner, Lund again rose highest but headed narrowly wide of the target and his effort was quickly followed by Tom Clare’s fierce effort from just outside the area, that forced the visiting stopper into a flying save.

Two Colchester efforts failed to test Arron Murphy in the Reds goal soon after before Clare went close again, heading Mo Saeed’s delivery just wide.

A smart save from Murphy prevented the visitors taking the lead against the run of play and Kane Swinburn fired wide in reply for the Reds just before the half hour.

Mo Saeed was cautioned just before the break after encroaching from a free kick, which was well saved by Murphy but the Reds spurned the final chance of the half.

A smart free kick saw Saeed deliver for Will Smith, who nodded the ball perfectly into Clare’s path but despite the U’s goalkeeper being rooted to the spot, the Reds striker missed the target by a matter of centimetres.

The Reds continued their frantic pace at the start of the second half and took the lead within three minutes of the restart.

Louis Wardle burst into the area before being brought down giving the full-back a chance to open the scoring from the penalty spot.

Wardle stepped up and powered the ball past the goalkeeper to give the Reds a deserved lead.

That goal seemed to spur Colchester into life and they equalised with a header following a fast break and edged ahead four minutes later when their substitute cut inside and fired home from a tight angle.

Swinburn almost levelled after breaking down the right, but could not direct his 68th minute rasping effort on target.

The Reds bagged a deserved equaliser 10 minutes later as a flowing break allowed Matty Wolfe to slip in Jeff McGowan, who took the ball wide of his marker and fired a left-footed effort low past the stopper.

And the Reds could have won it soon after as McGowan drove an effort just wide of the top corner 

Reds: Murphy (GK), Wardle, Lund, Smith, Bertie (Simpson, 55' ), Swinburn, Wolfe, Tingle (Miller, 85' ), Saeed, Clare, McGowan.

Subs: Greatorex (GK), Greenfield, Sandhu.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account