Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/10/2016

29 October 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 29/10/2016

29 October 2016

Adam Hammill's stoppage time strike rescues a deserved point for the Reds!

A late equaliser from Adam Hammill snatched a deserved point for Barnsley against Bristol City in a 2-2 draw at Oakwell.

Trailing 2-1 heading into stoppage time, Hammill cut inside from the left and rifled home into the bottom corner, to send Oakwell wild.

Marley Watkins headed the Reds in-front midway through the first half while Sam Winnall saw his penalty saved in first half stoppage time.

Lee Tomlin levelled the game from the spot following Adam Jackson’s handball and Tammy Abraham put the Robins ahead from close range.

Adam Armstrong and Andy Yiadom both came close to an equaliser before Hammill’s heroics rescued a point for the Reds.

Adam Davies was called into action inside the opening 60 seconds as a long ball forward was almost hooked over him by Korey Smith.

Ryan Kent drove at the Robins’ defence in reply and his low centre was almost turned into his own net by Aden Flint.

Abraham broke through the Reds line and started to bear down on Adam Davies’s goal. Just as he pulled the trigger, Adam Jackson slid across his path to make an excellent goal-saving challenge.

The deadlock was broken by the Reds midway through the half as Andy Yiadom swung in a fantastic delivery, which Marley Watkins was all too happy to head past Frank Fielding.

Sam Morsy received a caution for a foul on Lee Tomlin shortly after and he was followed into the book by Bristol City captain Wilbraham for a foul on Yiadom.

Reds captain Sam Winnall went down after being stepped on by Scott Golbourne and returned to his feet with blood gushing from his head, forcing him to leave the field to receive treatment.

Abraham headed just wide as Lee Johnson’s side tried to make their man advantage count before Kent fired into the gloves of Fielding from the edge of the area.

Josh Kay was cautioned for a foul on the edge of the area and Tomlin fired the resulting free kick wide before a rasping 25-yard drive from Kay flew inches over the crossbar.

The Reds were given a chance to double their advantage on the stroke of half time as Winnall was upended inside the area by Golbourne.

Winnall stepped up but was denied by Frank Fielding from the spot, with Smith heading into the book in the final seconds of the half.

HALF TIME: Barnsley 1-0 Bristol City

An early chance fell the way of Andy Yiadom at the start of the second half, combining smartly with Kent and Adam Armstrong before dragging the effort wide.

Korey Smith blazed over the crossbar in reply while Kent’s delivery from a dangerous free kick fell for Angus MacDonald, who fired over the crossbar from a difficult position.

The Robins were gifted the chance to draw level in the game as Jackson handled a cross into the area and Tomlin tucked home from the spot.

Abraham nearly put the Robins ahead when he met a dangerous Gary O’Neil free kick before Armstrong drifted infield from the left flank and rattled the crossbar with an ambitious drive.

Goalscorer Watkins had the chance to double his tally after racing onto Morsy’s through ball but found Fielding in fine form to keep him out.

Yiadom fired another ferocious drive on target that drew a great save out of Fielding with the follow-up from Kent flying wide via a deflection.

A vicious strike from Joe Bryan deflected wide of the target via Jackson and an unbelievable save from Adam Davies prevented Wilbraham finding the bottom corner from six yards.

Totally against the run of play, the visitors took the lead as Tomlin slid in Abraham, who dinked past Davies from close range.

Armstrong went close again soon after, racing onto substitute Adam Hammill’s pass but chipped the ball over the crossbar as Fielding came out to meet him.

At the start of stoppage time, Hammill latched onto the ball in the area and bent it deliciously into the corner of Fielding’s goal to snatch a point for the Reds.

But Bryan almost snatched it for the visitors in stoppage time when he broke clear down the left but Davies turned the ball away to safety and Tomlin’s effort from range almost snatched it even later.

Full Time: Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

Reds: Davies (GK), Bree, MacDonald, Jackson, Yiadom, Watkins (Hammill, 76' ), Kay, Morsy, Kent, Armstrong, Winnall (C).

Subs: Townsend (GK), Lee, Evans, Kpekawa, Bradshaw, Williams.

Bristol City: Fielding (GK), Matthews (Brownhill, 80' ), Flint, Magnusson, Golbourne (Bryan, 66' ), O'Neil, Smith, Reid (Moore, 66' ), Tomlin, Abraham, Wilbraham (C).

Subs: O'Donnell (GK), Engvall, Paterson, Pack

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account